the ATT iPhone family plans - can we add-remove as needed?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sean Dempsey, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

Say I get a iPhone now. If a new one comes out in June that I want, could I buy a new iPhone, and switch my phone number to it, and then add my wife on the Family iPhone plan and have her get a new number and use the old iPhone?

2. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Yes, you'd port your current number(part of EDGE iPhone) to the 3G iPhone, then you'd reactivate your EGDE iPhone, but act like its a brand new iPhone(with in iTunes, just don't pick the restore option), and port your wife's number over.

3. BlueCan macrumors newbie

Or, maybe, you'd move your SIM into your new phone and activate the old phone on the new SIM.

4. Sean Dempsey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

I've been with Verizon for too damn long... how do SIMs work?

When I buy the first iphone, I activate it and use it, and then that SIM can go in any other ATT iphone and it will send/receive my number?

So if I bought a new iphone v2, I'd just swap sims and I'm GTG right out of the box? Then I put the new sim in the wifes phone, activate it, and now she can use the handmedown?

5. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Yes and no.
    Nobody has seen Apple's activation scheme for the new iPhone yet, so simply swapping SIMs may not work.

But... any AT&T SIM will work in any AT&T phone that uses a SIM card. (an iPhone SIM will work in other AT&T phones, but SIMs from other AT&T phones will not work in the iPhone until it's been activated).

See the iPhone goes against the whole purpose of having a SIM card.

That's the nice thing about SIM cards is you can drop them into any phone (on the same carrier or one that is not locked to any carrier) that uses a SIM card.
    Your phone number is registered to the SIM, not the phone.