The AUSTRALIAN iPhone 4 launch thread

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sydneysiderrr, Jul 22, 2010.

Hi guys

Went to the Apple store in Sydney yesterday and asked an employee whether we're still on for 30 July and he said 'as far as I know, yes'. I think it's bizarre that there's no confirmation whatsoever on apple.com/au

Normally there's a pre-order button, to say the least, or even an aknowledgement along the lines of 'coming XX July' or something like that. I'm getting the impression that it's not definitive yet and I wouldn't be surprised if the launch was pushed back, like it happened with the iPad. I'd be very interested in knowing why though. Lack of stock, or something more sinister?

No word from Telstra/Voda/Optus on launch date either, let alone pricing. What's your gut feel?

2. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

They should make a specific forums section for these threads. I'm about to make "The African iPhone 4 release thread."

3. Broph macrumors 6502

Broph

Rename the thread title to Australasian ;)

I'm still awaiting to see if I can get reception at my place on XT (3G phone carrier), and if so, I'll get the iPhone ASAP.

4. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

5. stezza333 macrumors regular

Optus contacted me to order the new micro sim + adapter but other than that no word on iPhone 4.

The tell me me micro sim card should arrive on the 28th.

6. Broph macrumors 6502

Broph

7. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

I'll be getting mine first :D Optus Small Business customers get priority apparently.

8. AUDave macrumors newbie

Optus Email

I just got an email from Optus saying that they will be opening their flagship stores in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Perth from Midnight on Thursday 29th July for people who pre-register for iPhone 4 launch. That could be an indication that this is the launch date.

9. Callum macrumors member

10. KandyKane macrumors 6502

Telstra have announced they are launching on the 30th. Not all stores will have stock in week 1 though. I'm on sick leave at the moment, but apparently the point of sale will be arriving soon (but not to be displayed until 30th or stock arrive)

11. scuzzbug macrumors member

Supposedly 3 and Vodaphone will be releasing their pricing on Wednesday said their twitter accounts, and a possible Thursday for Optus?

12. DELTAsnake macrumors 6502

DELTAsnake

I'm still kinda thinking about going to Optus on Friday and getting one, but the antenna issues are something I can't afford to deal with. I hope it works better on Optus than it does on AT&T.

13. mkbrogers macrumors newbie

yeah and looks like apple online will be the last place you can get the iphone 4 at this stage - unless it changes tonight - there is no ordering from apple directly for a delivery by friday

14. KandyKane macrumors 6502

There's a video on YouTube of a guy testing it with all the Australian major network sim cards... This was the original 4.0 software though.

15. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

I'll be in the city at midnight on Thursday but I can't get the phone then cos you get 2 months free if you order online with Optus. Can't wait!

16. scuzzbug macrumors member

Anyone else going to the Optus Midnight Launch in Perth ?

17. Ginge84 macrumors newbie

Can't wait to get it tomorrow.
    What carrier are people going with??

I'm currently with Telstra, I was thinking of switching to Optus, but not so sure now

Anyone know if we get a free bumper/case at the telco's or do we have to go to Apple direct?