The autocorrection of 'K'

Patrick G

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
One of the biggest annoyances of iOS 8 for me is the fact that if I respond to a text with 'K', it gets autocorrected to 'I'. Anyone else? The OS should be smart enough to know not to do that in the context of a text message, given that it's probably the most-commonly texted "word" on the planet.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I have never sent that letter as a word nor have I ever received it as a word in that fashion.

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
The OS should be smart enough to know not to do that in the context of a text message, given that it's probably the most-commonly texted "word" on the planet.
You can either 1) Turn off autocorrect, or 2) Teach it to not correct your usage of "k". Choose.

A.

bkends35

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2013
USA
Add "K" to your dictionary and it won't autocorrect it. FWIW, "K" has become a rude way to say "okay", I know a few years ago everyone would say "K" instead but most people will think you're mad if you're saying just "K". Not that it's relevant here, just saying. ;)

Patrick G

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
Thanks for the suggestions. I use it all the time with family, who are the people with whom I most often exchange texts.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
You can either 1) Turn off autocorrect, or 2) Teach it to not correct your usage of "k". Choose.

A.
Perhaps adding a keyboard shortcut to change 'k' or 'K' on its own to just be 'K' or even "OK" (if not "Okay").

Patrick G

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
Perhaps adding a keyboard shortcut to change 'k' or 'K' on its own to just be 'K' or even "OK" (if not "Okay").
Turns out you can't do this, and I'm pretty sure I tried this in the past, which is why I remain frustrated. Shortcuts must be minimum two characters in length. :mad:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Turns out you can't do this, and I'm pretty sure I tried this in the past, which is why I remain frustrated. Shortcuts must be minimum two characters in length. :mad:
I guess you can then perhaps set it up to make it so that "kk" becomes just 'K' or even "OK" so it's just one extra press of the same key which is still rather quick and pretty much gets the job done.

----------

I went with 'kk' since 'k.' requires three button presses.
Sounds like you might have actually done that.

MVallee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Happens to me all the time too! I end up typing "k" and it sends "I" and then I try again and end up sending another "I" and then I'll get frustrated and have to type "k*". Almost makes me want to start texting in proper English...almost ;)

appleii.c

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2013
One of the biggest annoyances of iOS 8 for me is the fact that if I respond to a text with 'K', it gets autocorrected to 'I'. Anyone else? The OS should be smart enough to know not to do that in the context of a text message, given that it's probably the most-commonly texted "word" on the planet.
I think the OS is smart enough to know that "K" is not a word.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Settings > General > Keyboards > Shortcut

create a new shortcut

Phrase: "Ok"
shortcut: "K"

problem solved. Every time you type K it will auto-correct to Ok.