The Backblaze thread (and not Backblaze vs Mozy please)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Angelo95210, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

Hi folks

I just decided to go for online backup, as I am more and more versed into 'cloud software'. As you need a longtime to test this kind of software (almost 2 weeks just for the initial backup ie), I would like to open a thread to share our experience about Backblaze. It's relatively new and they don't have their own forums.

I installed the application and it's still doing the initial backup. That should take about 2 weeks as I have tested my connection and I can upload around 7GB/day.

[​IMG]

Please let us know your experience with this software !

2. hallmarkt macrumors newbie

This thread is a bit disappointing. Would the original poster be able to share his/her experiences after the initial 2 week upload?

3. Pol352 macrumors newbie

BackBlaze great , BUT

I have been very happily using the BackBlaze services for I believe close to a year. I also recovered some files at one occasion and it all worked to my full satisfaction!

But!!
    I have now discovered that for no good reason that I understand (fully paid up account) and without any warning, the back-up does no longer function since November 14th.
    I discovered this just over a week ago and asked immediately for HELP (after checking their fairly explicit FAQ's. I got a ticket number as a reply with kind of a promise that they try to get back to me within 24 hours (and the usual"pls check the FAQ's!", "please check your spam folder").
    I replied to confirm I had no succes with FAQ's and wanted HELP! Since then NO REPLY from BaxckBlaze. This is now a week!
    I insited and resent my CALL for URGENT HELP. So I received a different, second Ticket ID. :(
    Since then (allmost 3 days) NO REPLY!
    Now I am seriously concerned. Especially since cust service during my first month of use was VERY reactive and precise/efficient.
    So much for now! :confused:
    Pol in Luxembourg

4. Pol352 macrumors newbie

CRAZY whilst I complained I got a reply.

from BackBlaze.

At first sight they apologize for delay and give me an explicit reply which says in short: Everything IS ok and backing up.

I'll still ask em why my own preferences give me a figure of files that are still remaining to be backed up? And why this figure does not change since more that a week.

5. Angelo95210 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

I personally gave up with Backblaze for two reasons:
    - it took to long for the first backup
    - I prefer more reliable storage like amazon S3 combined with a software like Arq

Please let us know how it goes with Backblaze.

6. Pol352 macrumors newbie

Still looks fine

The replies to my messages are now rapid, but very vague. But the back-up runs fine by now and pretty fast.
    I have no problem at all with the first back-up taking time. Once it's fully done, it does a permanent back-up behind the scene, that really seems to only run when my CPU is not needed by anything else.
    I have no complaint other than
    1 very late reaction last week.
    2 funny discordance between what they tell me on email: all's fine , still 92 GB to copy, and the figurea shown in the Preferences: 72 MB to be copied.