The bane of white chargers

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by seveej, Aug 11, 2014.

1. seveej macrumors 6502a

seveej

I guess we're a typical "apple-saturated" (2+2) household.

We have two iPhones (4 and 5S), three iPads (1, Air, rMini), a number of iPods (three nanos of different generations and an old 3rd gen), not to speak of different generations of chargers for laptops (but we'll disregard these for now).

The problem (you can possibly imagine by now) is the plethora of different chargers plugged in different outlets in our household - partially dictated by the different inputs (lightning, traditional) in the devices, compounded by differing power requirements, exacerbated by the number of devices which regularly need charging.

The question (if there indeed is one), is whether there is a sensible solution - a docking station for multiple simultaneous devices...
    I can't imagine our household being the only one battling with these problems.

RGDS,

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

All of your iOS devices can charge off of an iPad charger or you could change a power outlet in your office to one of the newer ones with multiple usb power ports on it.

3. seveej thread starter macrumors 6502a

seveej

Hi,

thanks for the reply.
    All new ones (two iPads and the iPhone 5s) are capable of using a lightning-equipped charger without adapter. The adapter pieces are so minuscule, that I've actually already lost two (both). Even though I could also regularly switch cables (which I at times do), that would still leave quite a hassle.

Some USB-equipped power outlets have finally been certified over here (they still cost a bundle), and are not available for surface installations.

Still, this does not change the fact that a huge number of chargers is necessary (yesterday evening four devices were charging simultaneously; three days ago when we came home from a trip, the number was six).

RGDS,

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005P2BY5I/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?gclid=CLyohJ-gi8ACFXDLtAodIToABw
    Or are you after something like this...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/939039986/the-all-dock-incredibly-fast-and-beautifully-charg
    Or
    http://store.griffintechnology.com/powerdock-5-device-charger

5. BrettDS macrumors 65816

http://www.amazon.com/Family-Sized-...8-1&keywords=anker+40+watt+5+port+usb+charger

This is what you want... I have three of them in my household (and I purchased all of them myself... I'm not one who gets free stuff for reviews). One for the kid's iPad's and iPhones, one on my side of the bed for my iPad, iPhone, extended battery, bluetooth headset, pebble watch, and other random things that need charged occasionally and one on my wife's side of the bed for her iPad and iPhone.

The thing that I love about this one is that each port will automatically deliver the correct current for whatever device is plugged in. There are other similar chargers, but they have dedicated iPad and iPhone ports... with this one you can just plug all your cables in and know that whichever one you grab will charge your device at full speed. Additionally it can supply up to 40 watts, so it will be able to charge two or three ipads and a couple of iphones at full speed simultaneously.

I purchased one when I first saw them and loved it so much that I bought two more a week or so later. I've had them for 6 or 8 months now and wouldn't go back.

6. Mildredop macrumors 68020

7. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

The Anker USB port looks sweet. I was thinking about moving to that next. Right now I have a power surge that has 5 plugs to add any device sitting on my desk. I just plug my stuff there. My USB cable are wrapped around

[​IMG]

8. TheIntruder macrumors 6502a

TheIntruder

I have one of the multi port USB chargers.

Haven't had it long enough to comment on durability, but mine arrived fully functional. People have complained about DOAs and port failures.

Still, it's very convenient to charge everything at once and not worry about choosing the right ports, and Anker support has a good rep.

My only minor beef is that the ports are "upside down."

9. Kisey macrumors 6502a

+1 for the Anker

10. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

I have it. I love it! +1 for the anker 5 port 40W wall charger.

11. maliu macrumors 6502a

Another vote here for the Anker 40w charger. It's great!

12. alanrocks, Aug 19, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2014

alanrocks macrumors regular

alanrocks

Check out the Everdock Duo. I don't have one myself, nor have I ever tested it but I saw it on Kickstarter and was extremely successful. Just a thought!

13. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

I have it. I like it!

14. alanrocks macrumors regular

alanrocks

Awesome, can you post a pic as I'm thinking of getting one!?

15. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2