The base vs mid range MBP question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by latestmonkey, Feb 26, 2008.

1. latestmonkey macrumors 6502

Hello everyone,

I'm not too concerned about the extra 100mhz in processor but I would like to know if the 3MB cache and extra vram is really worth $500. I will be using the computer mostly for daily activities, some light video and photoshop work, and handbrake. I will also be running MS office inside parallels/fusion.

(I hate starting my own threads but the official front page thread is full of idiots complaining about the update and why apple needs to charge $19 for a remote. Since I wasn't expecting anything other than penryn and a speed bump, I am perfectly ok. Also, I took business 101. I just really needed to know from more knowledgeable people than me what the difference was and I couldn't wade through all the whining.)

Also - if anyone knows how amazon works, when will they be getting stock.

thanks

2. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

stick with the base model

no idea when amazon will get them

3. PDE macrumors 68020

Base model is a better deal, unless you NEED more Vram in which case that changes.From what you said, it doesn't sounds like you'd really benefit much from going with the mid-range model.

Amazon is usually pretty fast, maybe a week?

4. latestmonkey thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I think even the MBP base (vs MB) might be too much for me right now but since I'll be running windows (and I hate windows) I don't want to ever encounter a slowdown or I'll get angry, I better go with the base model... at least. Like a sucker, I'm gravitating towards the midrange.

5. PDE macrumors 68020

That's what Apple wants....to make customers think they needs things they don't really need. I think all apple computers right now have more than enough power for most people.

6. Freyqq macrumors 68040

i'd wait for the benchmarks, but i think 2x the cache is a lot

7. toneloco2881 macrumors 6502

The base to mid-range MBP price/value ratio is imo the biggest rip in Apple's entire lineup. That includes the extra money for the black Macbook. $500 gets you an increase in processor speed that you'll never notice unless you spend your time encoding H.264 videos 24-7. Oh yeah, you get a slightly larger hard drive. :rolleyes:

I can understand people who are gamers/etc. that HAVE to have the increased Vram on the graphics card, and are left with no choice. Otherwise, the base model MBP is unquestionably a better value.

8. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Ah, but you won't need to spend the $$$s on heating oil this winter. ;)

9. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

IMO the base model is by FAR the best deal. The VRAM difference matters very little since even 256 is quite a bit. I guess it might matter if you were running dual display with a 30" external. The cache will have some minor effect, but not $500 worth by any means.

10. hooly macrumors regular

hooly

I am in the same position.

I have a 2.33 Ghz model (2Gb) that I want to upgrade for a couple of main reasons:

• I have a model with a German keyboard (long story)
    • When running some intensive photo processing (batch processing RAW files in Aperture while multitasking in less intensive tasks like browsing, music etc) I get spinning wheels and hang ups
    • I want to upgrade to 4Gb RAM, which is not supported on my current model

Now that they have updated the keyboard layout (Fn keys) and the trackpad, I want to upgrade, but am unsure between the 2.4 and 2.5 models. Could the graphics card make any difference to Aperture's performance (I run a 24" external) or should I just spend the savings on the extra RAM?? What about this cache difference?? I dont even know what that one means :confused::confused:

11. Pees330 macrumors 6502

I ordered the baseline because the extra price is not worth it for me in what I need it for. The baseline will be more than enough power for me.