The battery charging thread to end all battery charging threads.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TurboSC, Nov 22, 2007.

1. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

alright.

I've read and heard many opinions on this issue with charging your iPhone and all these various theories are really starting to confuse me. Here's the question:

Is it better for your iPhone battery to charge it every night even when you have more than say 70% battery left... OR... Should you charge your battery when its out of juice thus preserving the lifetime of your device?

State your opionions or better yet your facts. Let's put an end to this issue. If someone disagrees with you, fight them. :)

2. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

While your question may be straightforward, I don't think we'll see a straightforward answer here.

One somewhat unrelated tidbit I found out... Apple only covers your batter under warranty (Applecare or not) to 300 cycles. I'm not sure what exactly constitutes a cycle (one plug/unplug? a full 0 to 100% charge?), but even if you reach that within a few months, your battery is out of warranty. Found that out when my girlfriend's battery completely died at 307 cycles. Ha.

3. RosieO macrumors member

Is there a way to tell how many cycles your battery has been through?

4. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

A cycle is a full 0-100% charge(atleast that is what I was told by the guy at my apple store). How did your Gf have over 300 charge cycles so quickly??!?

5. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

She had reached that many cycles after about a year and a half- but had Applecare. Didn't mean to mislead you.

**Also, it was her PB battery, not her iPhone battery. Should have mentioned that.

6. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

hahaha yeah I was gunna say, 5 months and already 307 charges, and then you said a year and a half. Haha through me off there:D

Anyway though that is interesting. I wonder if that is like a real policy or if it varies like most of there other ones.

7. TurboSC thread starter macrumors 65816

TurboSC

that's kinda of scary, because every night before bed I plug up my iPhone for charge even if it still has 90% battery...

I hope Apple won't be douches about the whole battery problem, I think they've learned from the iPod fiasco...

8. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

You have nothing to worry about if the criteria stated above are correct, which I believe they are. If you top up your battery by 10% per night that equates to a full cycle every 10 days, so 300 cycles would take 3000 days, over 8 years!

Or am I missing something here? :)

9. eenu macrumors 65816

eenu

Yeah your missing something :p

As far as i am aware as soon as your battery hits 90% or below in charge remaining as soon as you connect it to a power source thats an extra hit on your cycle counter. It's certainly how the Apple laptops work.

10. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

From apples website

Even after the 400 cycles it should not just die.
    It will simply have 80% of it's capcity.
    The link below explains it all.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/

11. alFR macrumors 68020

Also from that page:

Seems pretty clear that a full charge cycle is just that, a cumulative 100% charge/discharge of the battery.

12. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

So does that mean 10 charges of 90% to 100% add up to a full cycle? It still seems somewhat ambiguous to me.

And to rablat- yeah, it shouldn't. Definitely a hardware failure that has nothing to do with the cell life. I'll be getting on Apple's case about that when I get back from break.

13. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

I think not, judging by the quote above from Apple's own documentation (repeated herewith):

Take it back or I'll sue! :p :p :p

14. eenu macrumors 65816

eenu

I don't think so given the way the laptop batteries work

15. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Hey eenu, you never did say whether O2 came up trumps with the deal they offered you in September, or are you sworn to secrecy to prevent rioting in the streets! :D

16. eenu macrumors 65816

eenu

They still haven't responded yet. I will be chasing it up next week. I would think they are looking into it given that it was cc'd to Apple Executive Relations and Trading Standards

17. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Care to enlighten us with the thread?:)

18. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Nothing to get excited about as it's strictly U.K. related and to do with a special tariff that was promised:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=4199384&postcount=285

I just wanted to know how it all unfolded. Sorry to go completely off topic.

Back on topic: let's hope the battery in the iPhone holds up well. I have to say that my iPhone is very power-hungry.

19. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48a Safari/419.3)

My usage is between 4 and 5 hours a day. And every night(as in right now) I'm in the red. Is this the norm? And just as an add on there's no way I do use it for that length of time. How does it work this out?

20. Seamaster macrumors 6502a

Seamaster

You've got two hopes, mate. No hope and Bob Hope. And Bob Hope's DEAD.