The battery icon can't show time remaining anymore?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Snookerman, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Snookerman macrumors 6502

When I was running Lion, I had the time remaining show next to the battery icon in the menu bar. Now, the only choice I can find is percentage. Is the option to show the time completely gone in Mavericks? I can still see it if I click the icon, but I want it there all the time. Thanks!

2. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

3. Snookerman thread starter macrumors 6502

It's accurate enough for me (and apparently for Apple too, since they didn't remove it completely).

4. whiteatom macrumors newbie

I also miss the time.. seems stupid that they would leave it in the menu, but not give you the option to put it in the menu bar...

5. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

On my rMBP, there's a greyed-out "Collecting power usage information..." in the battery menu-bar pull-down.

Perhaps this means that time estimations will come after a period of observation. If so, that would be smart, as time-remaining depends rather heavily on the software you use, its CPU demands, and its utilization of the power-saving technologies integrated into Mavericks (such as Timer Coalescing and App Nap).

If I'm correct, then after a week or two you may have timing information available that is based on your actual usage, and that should be more accurate than ever.

It's something to hope for, at least...

6. Mad4clay macrumors regular

7. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

o_O Can you show me a screenshot of the time remaining being displayed instead of battery percentage under 10.9?

8. Mad4clay macrumors regular

If I only knew how to do that I would. New to Mac.

9. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Apple logo > About this Mac.
    That will show you the OS you're running. Place the window by the battery icon on the top toolbar so you can capture it in the screenshot. To take a screenshot in OS X you hit command+shift+3 to capture the entire screen. You hit command+shift+4 to capture a selection. The screenshots will save to your desktop.

10. Azathoth macrumors 6502a

Left click on the battery icon shows time remaining information (and they've added a low-pass filter to it - so for me it's actually become pretty accurate on my 2011 MBA13)

I'm sure Apple removed it because too many non-technical people became confused by the frequently changing time estimate, they would start up 20 Flash tabs, run Photoshop then complain that their fully charged Macbook only predicts one and a half hour of battery.

11. Mad4clay macrumors regular

Now how do I post it?

12. Mad4clay macrumors regular

I missed the bolded part. I don't remember seeing it there. Only when I clicked the icon does it show the time remaining.

13. Valiedhiel macrumors newbie

I've got a different problem. My battery percentage is not decreasing. But when I click on "Open Energy Saver Preferences" or the small button near my macbook,it shows real battery percentage.:confused: