The battery is never full on iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FatPuppy, Aug 2, 2014.

1. FatPuppy macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

The battery icon is never full while it is displayed on the lockscreen and it should be full because only once I've seen the battery full. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407021961.120904.jpg

2. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

And yet the battery percentage says... 100%.

Now, I'm totally going out on a limb here, so bear with me, but I think I'd assume the percentage would be enough to rely on for your battery level.

3. FatPuppy thread starter macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

No, not enough, I've seen that battery indicator full a few days ago on the lockscreen. Plus, on ios 6 when the indicator was at 100 it was still charging until a cord showed up.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

iOS 7 doesn't show a cord icon when its full. It will always show the thunderbolt when it is plugged in.

5. FatPuppy thread starter macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

I know. But how do I know when to unplug the iphone? Cause even after 100 it still needs to be charged.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

When it says 100%. It won't charge any more than that. The lithium polymer simply cannot hold any more electrons.

7. nox5 macrumors 6502

Optimal range for iPhone battery is between 30% and 80%

8. FatPuppy thread starter macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

On ios 6 it shows a cord when the battery is fulland needs no more charge

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

This is not correct. iPhone batteries do not suffer or degrade in a measurable way when fully charged or being charged under 30%. They can however, suffer damage if fully drained on a regular basis. By the time they start to show any signs of degradation from normal use, the device will already be obsolete.

On iOS 7, it shows 100% as it lacks the plug icon.

10. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Just use your phone when you need to, and plug it in when the battery is low.

I turned the percentage indicator off because knowing what it is currently really doesn't matter.

11. yeah macrumors 6502a

yeah

I always have to wait a few minutes after the indicator reaches 100%, otherwise my battery will drain quickly.

:(

12. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

Stop fussing over tiny percentages and enjoy your iPhone

Will you even need that tiny percent? Probably not, you'll charge it before it gets that low.

13. chupachup, Aug 2, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2014

chupachup macrumors 6502

They changed that in iOS7. The "plug" will no longer show when it is fully charged.

Now when it reads 100% it is done. It will always have the lightning bolt. That confused me too on my iPhone 4s.

----------

Just unplug it at 100%.

All phones, if you leave them plugged in a while after 100% will appear to take longer to drain down to 99%, but in reality at the end of the day, the phone battery will last the same.

Same thing on Android. Same when I had my iPhone.

So when you see 100% just unplug it.

After a year, your iPhone will start doing very strange things. Shutting off at 30% when you take a picture or open an app. Or you unplug it at 100% and as soon as you take out the cord you'll see the number go to 95%. Then you plug in and goes to 100% again.

Be ready.

You'll come here and ask people to help. They'll tell you to recalibrate. Then they'll tell you to restore the phone as a new phone. This may appear to help the issue, but sure enough, after a week or so it'll start slowly doing it again.

When you get closer to 2 years either replace the battery, or get a new phone.

You could keep the same battery but carry a portable charger.

14. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

@ rrares1996 I know what you are asking. Eventhough it says 100% it's not fully charged, thus strangely seeming that your ipHone battery is draining faster. This could be a random occurrence and not every iPhone user is experiencing it. I noticed a change in the charging with my 5s after updating to iOS 7.

And you are right, its not at 100% even though it might say it. Whenever I charge using my Macbook Pro I wait until the Percent has disappeared on the home screen inside iTunes on the home screen. When I charge using a wall charger I make sure everything is turned off (wifi. cellular, airplay mode and dim the screen). Then wait a few minutes after I see the 100%. This seems to work best. Just charging with the wall charger and turning things off. When I'm going to be out all day I make sure I charge using the wall charger to insure a full charge.

Oh and when not in use I turn it off usually on the weekends.

This started to happen for me about 4 months of having the 5s which is strange. I'm guessing its in the software.

15. pure-rockstar macrumors regular

I usually spend half a day charging the iPhone. They call it a mobile device but not really.

This lithium thing doesn't work that good, I'd rather have AA.

Remember Gameboy? Those were mobile devices!

16. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

Half a day charging your phone??

Something's not right there. It should only take a couple of hours to charge, and unless your using it like crazy, it should get you through a full day at least!

17. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Mine charges rrreal quick, but drains rrreal quick too. If using cellular data, the battery is dead within three hours. Those people who say the battery lasts all day mean 'intermittent use' all day...

18. C DM macrumors Westmere

Unplug it whenever you need or want to. It doesn't matter if it's exactly 100% or a tiny bit below it or any other number really. Probably why Apple got rid of that plug indicator so that people wouldn't worry about it as much.

19. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

I typically get about 8-10 hours of actual use on a charge, which typically consists of some web surfing, email, music, a little bit of YouTube, a little talk and text, and maybe some navigation via Google maps.

3 hours still sounds too short unless you're doing a lot of gaming or video streaming. You might want to adjust some settings such as background app refresh and push notifications, as well as lowering screen brightness. Just lighting the display can account for as much as half of your power usage. Unless I'm out in the sun, my screen is never above 50% brightness.

20. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Apple describes their charging profile here. Also, I don't have a link but the battery is exercised when left on the charger to prevent reduced battery life. The battery is cycled between 98-ish% and 100% so there is no harm leaving it plugged in for extended periods. This might explain your battery indicator but that's a guess.

chargechart.gif

From the link: Standard Charging

Most lithium-ion polymer batteries use a fast charge to charge your device to 80% battery capacity, then switch to trickle charging. That’s about two hours of charge time to power an iPod to 80% capacity, then another two hours to fully charge it, if you are not using the iPod while charging. You can charge all lithium-ion batteries a large but finite number of times, as defined by charge cycle.

21. TomHardyy macrumors newbie

This is the benchmark. You will never get the maximum battery on picture :rolleyes: But it is full and 100% by all means

22. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Optimal for what?

Just plug it in when you sleep.

Done:rolleyes:

23. thetechfixer macrumors 6502

thetechfixer

I would just go with the percentage. Probably more accurate.