The battery life on rMBP is

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by joonyaboy, Dec 8, 2013.

1. joonyaboy macrumors 6502

joonyaboy

Amazing. Last time I had a laptop I remember being barely able to finish a movie. These machines are incredible and battery life has come really far.

i hope it stays this way for awhile

2. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

Yep.

Screenshot of my rMBP 15 inch late 2013 battery life right now. 11 hours! This is after I migrated all my apps/files from a time capsule backup including Photoshop, Illustrator, Chrome, Pages, Numbers, etc. When the machine was pure stock Mavericks it had 12 hours.

My 2012 rMBP got about 7.5 hours of battery life in comparison.

[​IMG]

3. commac, Dec 8, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2013

commac macrumors regular

My late rmbp 15" says about 7.5-8 hours from 100% with nothing open. Why would yours be quoting so high? Did you do any tweak for that? What brightness do you keep it at? I once had it up to 9-10 hours but it quickly corrected itself after some mild use.

4. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

I have the base model (without Nvidia 750M) so not sure if that has something to do with it. About the only tweak I did after the time capsule restore was to turn the bluetooth off. I use the galaxy wallpaper if that makes any difference (dark blue so maybe doesn't use a lot of light?). I use 50% brightness. Volume set at 3 bars. About the only other tweak I can think of is that I have not installed Adobe Flash on this machine. I do all my browsing in Safari and only load up Chrome when I need to load Youtube or something that requires Flash.

Weird thing I've noticed about my Haswell machine is that the battery life GOES UP quite frequently during use when I have just unplugged it. For example, after my last screenshot I browsed for about another 20 minutes and the remaining battery life went up to 11:24. It never used to do that on my 2012 rMBP.

[​IMG]

5. commac macrumors regular

Ha nice problem to have. I have the 750M version but don't do anything to rev it up while on battery. After reading your post I did a reboot and turned my brightness down to 3 bars and got it to say 9.5 hours at 75% battery. Then I started browsing and put my brightness halfway and it went back to averaging 8 hours total.

I wonder if Iris pro 2.0 has better battery than 2.3 750M model (not active dgpu) but the difference of 3 hours seems a bit much. Im not complaining about my 8 hours but you def seem lucky with your machine.

6. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

Even if the Intel Iris Pro makes a difference, it shouldn't be anywhere near a 3 hour difference in battery life. I'm waiting on Anandtech's upcoming review to see how much battery life he gets on his tests. I'd like to know if my battery life is typical for the base model or if I got a freak machine (or even worse, a defective machine). Who knows, maybe the battery life going up means my battery calibrator is broken in the machine?

From actual use the machine seems to last near forever, so I'm not complaining yet.

7. blackers10 macrumors newbie

Is there an app that shows a decent graph of your battery usage etc??
    the factory one is crap

8. bbasra macrumors member

My Mid 2012 rMBR only gets around 7 hours of battery life. :confused: Serves my right for being an early adopter.

9. fs454 macrumors 68000

I think 7-8 hours is realistic for both the 2012 and 2013 models - I think the time estimation is the least accurate way to gauge battery time as it fluctuates wildly up and down depending on the moment and what you're doing.

10. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

The time estimation is based on a "sliding average" of the power consumption over the past few minutes. If you were doing something CPU intensive that made it go down, the time will rise again gradually over several minutes, rather than just spring back up to what it was before.

This can be misleading, as if you just started a heavy CPU/GPU app like Second Life, the time remaining number can be a BIG overestimate at first. If you want a true "gas gauge" style number, always look at percentage.

11. jondunford macrumors 6502

jondunford

it seems to cap at 20 hours

but this is legit, screen brightness is on 7/16

force quit is open to show my open apps

Screen Shot 2013-12-11 at 15.14.06.png

12. fs454 macrumors 68000

I still don't think this means anything for the battery life that you're actually going to experience.

13. jondunford macrumors 6502

jondunford

true but i do use my computer all day every day and this is the first computer i've been able to do so whilst only plugging it in whilst asleep :)

14. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

That's awesome. Mine has only ever gone to about 15 hours. Never seen 20 that is cray!

That's my sentiment too. With my 2012 rMBP it was a pretty stable 7.5 hours of battery. That ALMOST got me through a full day, but I would have battery anxiety near the end of the day.

With the 2013 rMBP I can easily go through the day without breaking a sweat. I'm guessing mixed usage is around 10-12 hours on my machine. Light usage probably can squeeze even more hours out but I haven't been able to run it dry yet and am too lazy to test it (waiting for Anandtech to do the dirty work).

15. ocrane macrumors member

ocrane

I must have some issues with mine, Ive never seen over 5hrs. Late 2013 13"

Attached Files: