The battery on my MacBook Pro 15" 2016 is insanely.. good!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PalacePlayers, Dec 7, 2016.

1. PalacePlayers, Dec 7, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2016

PalacePlayers macrumors regular

There has been a lot of talk about bad battery life on the new MacBooks, but I have the exact opposite experience. Today I did the following things on my 15": downloaded my entire iCloud Photo Library in the background, browsed Safari with 4 tabs, edited 2 PDFs in Preview, Apple Music on, iMessage on, Reminders on, Calendar on, Activity monitor on. It's hasn't even been 24 hours since I got it, so there might be some Spotlight indexing going on as well. This was all done with full backlight on keyboard and 70% brightness on the screen.

After 2 hours doing all this, the battery estimate was at over 14 hours. I almost couldn't believe it when I saw it, but after 4 hours of work, the estimate was 9:37 minutes left, so it seems to be correct.

I don't know why my MacBook seems to be performing much better than many others. I've heard that setting it up as a new Mac helps, and this could certainly give merit to that theory (I chose to set it up as a new Mac).

So for those on the fence - not all 2016 Pros have bad battery life.

Attached Files:

2. sprockett macrumors member

do u mind downloading coconut battery meter, and then letting us know your discharge wattage?

Right now on idle im getting abt 7-10W, and if im doing some light surfing it is about 10-20W.

If i load a heavy site, it goes up to 30-50W, before dropping.

Im curious what your power consumption is to get the 10 hr estimates. thx!

3. WhiteWhaleHolyGrail macrumors 6502a

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

I'm having a similar experience and I also set up my Mac as new.

4. max99 macrumors member

max99

14 hours..... a good 10 hours more than I get... FML

5. Jaekae macrumors 6502

Mine sometimes show 12-14 after full charge but real time ends up around 8-9 hours which is good too :) also set up as new mac, and manually moved back documents and stuff i wanted to have on new one