The battery on the iPod Touch 2G only lasts 4 hours?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by BulkyPhilly, Oct 31, 2008.

1. BulkyPhilly macrumors newbie

On apple.com it says 36 hours of audio. Why are user only reporting appx. 4 hours of use until it goes low?

2. -Dark Angel- macrumors 6502

Its most likely due to 4 hours of normal use, IE, playing music, watching videos, surfing the net, playing games, etc. 36 hours of nothing but music playing is possible but not many use it just like that.

3. smwatson macrumors 6502a

smwatson

Depends on brightness, Wifi on/off etc

Games are uber battery drainers.

4. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

I play my ipod before I go to bed, straight off the charger to my bedside table and its dead before I wake up, so thats less then 8 hours. But sometimes it fluctuates, which is kinda weird.

But last night I plugged it in and when I woke up... 6 hours later, only one bar had gone down.

5. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Is your WiFI on during this time?

I run an application called aSleep (white noise) during the night, and with WIFI on, it will drain the battery to about 20% in 8 hours. When WIFI is off, It barely uses a quarter of battery life.

[​IMG]

6. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

Hmm.. good point. That would actually explain it. Thanks!

7. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

i turn my brightness down a lot when i don't need it to be bright, also turn off wifi when you're using the iPod without wifi cause i use mine in school sometimes :x and my school wifi is password protected and my ipod drains the battery searching for other networks w/o passwords

8. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

To get that mythical 36 hour battery life Apple tested it with:

- 128Kbps AAC files encoded manually and also some downloaded from iTunes (kinda weird since one would think the company is just that - one company, but whatever)
    - full charge on the battery
    - volume at 50%
    - playback of music only, I believe they simply start the Music player, tap Songs, tap Shuffle and leave it alone from that point on but the Shuffle thing might be inaccurate, on a Flash-based device the seek times don't consume battery life like they would with a hard drive based iPod
    - Wi-Fi is off, in fact everything that's "automated" is off
    - after 10-15 seconds of the last tap, the LCD and backlight turn off and then they never touch it again till their test equipment says "It's dead, Steve..." or whatever

So in reality, if you got close to do that sort of usage, you'd get 20+ hours of battery life just playing music perhaps even up towards 30 or even a bit over that I believe. But if you switch songs manually, each time you do it that fires up the LCD and backlight and wham, another chunk of battery life is gone, etc. Maybe sometime someone will find a way to remap the Volume buttons on the side to Next and Previous for skipping songs without turning on the display; I have no need for the volume controls because my earclips have a volume control inline that works fine.

Push Play and leave it alone and you'll get a lot of battery life with music. Videos, basically you're looking at 1/6 of the claimed music time, so 36 for audio, 6 for video, and just keep dividing that down based on usage. If you used a lot of manual playback/switching of songs, used the volume controls on the side to alter settings, etc. you're going to take a battery life hit, but it still seems to work out to video playback being about 1/6th of the possible music only battery life.

And of course, encoding bitrates for audio and video factor into this also. Low bitrate video files (like 500 Kbps or something) will not use nearly as much battery as 1500 Kbps (the max) would. Brightness, Wi-Fi, all that extra fluff just kills it.

If you have a Jailbroken 1st gen iPt and you install OpenSSH or some other SSH server on it, that will kill the battery life dramatically fast if you don't disable/turn off that SSH service when it's not in use. It'll force the Wi-Fi service to stay active even if you're not using it, so that's Wi-Fi + SSH server = dead battery really damned fast. It's a well known battery killer, so keep it in mind.

Hopefully the 2nd gen iPt (and iPhone 3G) will get a Jailbreak soon and we'll have fun all over again... ;)