Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

The Beatles Sue Apple Computer?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
A Fox News column reports that The Beatles (Apple Corps) are suing Apple Computer over their move into the music arena with the iPod and iTunes Music Store.

Apple Computer and Apple Corps are not strangers and, in fact, have had previous legal settlements over corporate name confusion. In earlier agreements, Apple Computer had agreed to not enter the music industry, and had reportedly paid out a large settlement to Apple Corps.

According to this column, Apple was served legal papers over the past few days over breach of contract.

fixyourthinking

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2002
Greenville SC
Frivilous / Malicious

Apple needs to countersue this time around for frivilous malicious intent and libel - the other 2 suits had NOTHING to do with ANY Beatles copyright

Comment

alia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2003
Orlando, FL
I first heard about this when the iTunes Music Store first came out, so it's not a new topic. I think it's silly that they would sue, especially since Apple isn't MAKING music, just selling it. Anyway, I hope they don't have to pay fat fines, or whatever, to Apple Company (Music, Studios... whatever it's called).

Alia

Comment

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
i honestly think they will not win this case. the riaa loves apple as well as most of the recording industry. plus they should have sued apple back in the early sytem days in they encorparated sound in the system.

iJon

Comment

TylerL

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2002
...simplest solution?
BUY APPLE RECORDS!

A little Microsoftian, but it'll get the job done.
...and if Michael Jackson is looking to sell his ranch, I'm sure Apple could make a deal to buy him out too.
Beatles music rights, and thousands of dollars worth of plastic and new noses!

Comment

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
Ha

Well, this is interesting. Can't say I blame them. I get confused between pop supergroups and computers all the time.

Comment

xtekdiver

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2003
The Beatles SUCK!

Screw the Beatles. I can't believe that these egotistical morons would sue Apple over this; I mean, it was a compliment for Jobs to name his company in this way. Talk to the hand! :mad:

Comment

Ambrose Chapel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Massachusetts
come on already...i can't believe apple agreed to that to begin with. i think they could've successfully argued that apple computers and apple records would not be confused by the public. what the hell does apple records even do anymore??

Comment

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
I ME MINE

Although I'm a huge Beatles fan, I think it's ridiculous for Apple Corps to bring this suit against Apple Computer. In the early 70s, YES ("if you use 'Apple' then don't go into the Music business") -- that's when it was the very real possibility that Apple Corps would actually be some sort of publishing force themselves for other bands besides themselves.

It's 2003 -- Apple Corps has only ever really been about the Beatles... it never really tried to represent and push other acts forward. If you read anything about Apple Corps and the Beatles, you find that they initially had a big beautiful dream that died quickly (even before they themselves disbanded)...

Why push Apple Computers around now?

Comment

applemacdude

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2001
Over The Rainbow
OH-Oh:confused: I think Apple Computer will win this not Apple Reords. Maybe Apple Computer will make a deal With Apple Records. $$$ For both of them. Oh well

Comment

sickracer2015

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2003
Apple did ask for it:

When Apple Computers first came into existence, the Beatles' lawyers_sued -- and won -- over the use of the corporate name. The Fab Four, it_was_widely known, already had their own_company called_Apple Corps. (Ironically, Jobs admitted to naming his company as a tribute to the Beatles.) The result of the suit was a huge cash settlement and a promise that the Apple logo and name would only be used for computers -- and_never for a music company.

Several years later, when computers starting having music come through attachable speakers, the Beatles again sued_and won, this time_over breach of a trademark agreement since Apple Computers had agreed to steer clear of the music business. Their winnings against Apple Computers have come to an estimated_$50 million so far.

Comment

mathew

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2003
Knew this was coming...

I can remember way back when the RUMORS of the ITMS started, people were talking about Apple's promise to stay out of the music industry...

Should be very interesting to see what happens.

Comment

Makosuke

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
I'm not a copyright/trademark lawyer, but it sure seems to me that any particular benefit to Apple (the computer company) on account of sharing a name with the Beatles label went away about two decades ago when Apple Records stopped doing anything. At all.

I would be honestly surprised if there were more than a half dozen people left in the world who might seriously confuse Apple computer and the iTunes Music Store with Apple Records.

And why didn't they sue years ago when the iPod first came out? Probably not enough money in it.

Comment

Chris Wardzala

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2003
Man oh man.

Come on, this is getting really sad. I dont think I am going to confuse Apple Computer with a Record Lable.

"Say," I would say to an incompitant friend, "Have you seen the new iPod?"

Friend: "You mean the one released by the record Lable?"

Fighting ensues and He never confuses them again.

Comment

amichalo

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2001
What's sad is Lennon woudl love the iPod

I belive that, were Leonnon alive today, he would be a happy fan of the iPod and iTMS. I can see him cruising around Central Park with the other citicens of Gotham with little white ear buds.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.