The best app for backup

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by murdercitydevil, May 4, 2010.

1. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

Ok, I was using SuperDuper ever since I started using OS X, and it worked fine. Then today I was going to do a backup and it just sat there, doing nothing, FOREVER. It would finish the first part, the prepping or whatnot, but when it came time to actually copy files, it would just stop and not do anything. Tried reinstalling it, same thing. so I installed CCC, and it seems fine. Anyone have a preference and if so, why? I want to know what the best backup solution out there is.

2. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I backup all my stuff to a DVDr. Everything else is backed up on MobileMe. Several times I've taken my Macs to the Apple Genius to do some repair and they inadvertently erased my drive. NP. I have everything on disc :)

Do that back up to Disc and time Machine.

3. Akira81386 macrumors newbie

The best way to backup everything is to use Time Machine AND CCC or SuperDuper. I've never had a problem with SuperDuper, and CCC is just as good so you're fine.

4. matttung macrumors member

I vote for SuperDuper.

It's reasonably customizable, easy to use and has a really good / complete support forum.

5. murdercitydevil thread starter macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

I like superduper too, but like I said it just stopped working. Does anyone know why it would do that, or what I can do to fix it?

6. binary10 macrumors member

Carbon Copy Cloner - gets my vote - its a gui frontend for gnu rsync, which does the grunt of the work.

7. sp3ctre macrumors regular

sp3ctre

Just out of interest why would you need to use CCC or SuperDuper if you use TimeMachine?

8. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

Yes... I agree~ Time Machine is the ONLY app~ is everything, not like Windows, You don't need to install or choose, just plug the external HDD and use it for Time Machine, simple right? (You have to format the HDD to HFS format)