The best audio interface for me? (and studio equipment)

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by R.R.M.Explosion, Jul 12, 2010.

1. R.R.M.Explosion macrumors newbie

I'm looking to upgrade my studio a wee bit as i feel like i need increase the amount I can record at once so i can try and record drums or a whole band rather than just guitar and vocals. Just now i'm using an Mbox2 and i'm looking for something that would have at least 8 xlr ins (Although i wouldn't complain if i could get more) I have logic 9 and protools 8 so any audio interface can be used don't need stick with digidesign kit. What's the lowest price someone has found for something like this and that has worked without problems or preamp hiss. and would it be worth while waiting that wee bit long to save for i can get 16 ins as i'll be trying to record bands if so what price would i be looking at for that. Would be good if the latency wasnt to bad either cos my Mbox can be a bit of a F:apple::apple:kr on that front.
    I was looking at the M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R would that be my best bet for this or has someone found something better?
    Any help would be amazing.
    Cheers Ru ;)

2. lethalillness macrumors member

I dislike the Mbox 2 a lot. Go for the ProFire 2626 has 8 mic preamps, with ADAT and S/PDIF to extend tracks future needed. It is also top notch quality in Logic you'll get 24-bit/192kHz, PT MP will limit you at 24-bit/92kHz. I have the ProFire 610 the only difference is the amount of channels since I don't need many in my home studio as my home studio is for mostly vocalists/solo instruments. Also the ProFire is FireWire, many people rank them better then the 003, personally I like the ProFire's preamps better. But either really matters to me since I use an Avalon as my preamp.

3. RHELF macrumors member

I would check out the MOTU 8PRE. It usually goes for somewhere around $550. The mic pre's in the MOTU are far superior to the M-box and even the 003 rack/factory. Also much better than M-Audio(same company) and presonus in the same price range. You can daisy chain them together if you need more inputs. Also has ADAT for 8 more channels.