The Best Buy Experience

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by toxictrix, Jul 3, 2009.

1. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

So I bought an aluminum macbook from Best Buy in June just after WWDC. It was the older 2.0 aluminum macbook so I got a good deal. When I got home I decided to check on the warantee status for the computer. I typed in my seral number and everthing and it came up as expiring in February 2010. About 5 months too soon.

I figured no big deal, I'll fax Apple my receipt and they will update it. No problem. Well I faxed it in and got an email back from apple today saying "We can not update your warantee date because the computer was sent in for repair or service in February."

Now Best Buy won't take it back since it is an older model and I'm left out of 5 months of warantee! Oh, and I got a computer that was used and sent in for repair when they told me it was brand new!!

the only reason I bought from Best buy was because I had 800 in store credit. I really do hate them.

Never buy from Best Buy!

2. akm3 macrumors 68020

That sucks but statistically you'll be fine. Get really pissed if you have a warranty issue in the 5 months you are out. Otherwise, it is all moot.

-Allen

3. toxictrix thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah it's just the fact of them selling me a used computer as new. I called Apple and the woman was shocked. She could not believe they would do something like that but Apple really can't do much.

One more thing, if I click on about this mac and go to more, the serial number does not show up. It says Serial Number (system): System Serial #

It does not actually show the serial number...

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It's possible that the February service was a logic board replacement.

5. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

How good of a deal did you get from BB? If it was really, really good than I might be willing to bite the bullet. Likewise, if it was labelled Open Box, you probably don't have much to stand on. If it wasn't, then I would go in and demand they compensate me somehow. Free extended AppleCare would be a good start. I think BestBuy has their own service plan, but I would push for AppleCare.

If they don't budge, keep escalating the issue until they do. And talk to Apple again - you never know, but you might be able to get Apple to talk to BestBuy on your behalf. It doesn't reflect well on Apple for a reseller to be treating its customers like this.

6. 5280m macrumors member

Talk to Best Buy customer service and go up the tier until they offer you a refund or a replacement. Selling a used machine as new is unacceptable. If you keep at Best Buy long enough they will cave.

7. AdamLikesMusic macrumors 6502

Yeah, that's a load of crap. I'd be pissed! If I were you, I'd persistently push to be compensated, at least have the warranty or something extended.

8. toxictrix thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yea I paid 900 for it. So it was a decent deal. I'm going to go back to Best Buy either later today or maybe Monday and keep arguing til something happens. The thing is, They said open box but only because it was an older model. They told us it had never been used and that the warantee would start that day. They basically flat out lied to us.

Oh, and if they do somehow replace it, I really don't feel like paying an extra 300 just to get another macbook because that is how much they cost now =/

9. pinoyplaya macrumors regular

If they force you to pay an extra cash... then tell them you want the newer MacBook Pro :)

10. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Buy a refurbished one off of Apple's Online Store. I'd rather buy a new or refurbished computer of Apple's standard rather than rely on BB's nonexistent standards. I would demand free AppleCare. And in the future, buy off of Fry's or something. BB tried to sell me a 512MB Sony Micro Vault flash drive for $60 and claimed it has really tight security options. Oh, and they said that the 512MB was printed wrong and it really was 4GB. That would be my BB experience, I mean disaster.

11. harodude macrumors regular

Thought I might chime in on this!

I have gone through a whole ton of hassle with Best Buy in most every department, be it purchases or warranty issues...

Anyways, they do have an online forum, with a few Customer Relations agents that ALWAYS resolve the issues for customers.

Best Buy Forums/

Make an account, file a complaint on the appropriate forum, and you should receive some feedback within a week.

I had an extended warranty on a TV through BB... I kept asking for replacement, but they always turned me down... UNTIL I filed a complaint on the forum, and was taken care of! I got a brand new TV, and they also gave me some compensation in a $50 giftcard

Best of luck to ya!

12. toxictrix thread starter macrumors 6502a

I really wish I could have bought off the refurb store but it was a gift card...

I'll take a look in the Best Buy forums and post this in there. I have had problems with them quite a bit. On my last computer, they dropped it and broke it then told me to send it in to the manufacturer for the warantee.... took 4 weeks of arguing for them to finally give me credit back which is where I got the credit to buy this Macbook.

They really are a joke.

13. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Yeah. That's why when you purchase an openbox item, be prepared for the worse, legally they covered their a**.

14. iAlexG macrumors 6502

iAlexG

I bought a HP from Best Buy and I had a 1 yr warranty but it died just after the cutoff so I forked out the cash and got my dream:D MACBOOK PRO!!!
    I have bought two HDTV's from Best Buy and the idiots in the store knew nothing about what they were talking about:confused:. I corrected them on numerous occasions :D I will still buy from Best Buy but only because I know my Tech. When I go in there, I know exactly what I'm looking for. P.S I would never buy a Macbook from Best Buy, Just go to the :apple:Apple Store:apple:, Better service ;)

15. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

ya never been a big fan of best buy, but i understand the feeling of pretty much being forced to shop there cause ur credit.
    i got my first mac from Guitar Center cause i had a $100 credit there and needed a new computer worse then Guitar stuff.

16. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Best Buy (at least at my store) has higher prices than anywhere else.

Of course, you can get a huge discount by getting stuff online. When my dad got our TV, it listed at ~$2500. We got it at less than $2000 from Abe's of Maine.

17. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

i actualy noticed how their prices are getting slightly better. but not by much.

18. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

19. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

I do not know where you live or what your state laws are. When I worked retail, it was against the law in that state to re-package, or re-tape a returned item and sell it as new. We had to label the item as a re-turn or list the item needing repair and/or what was missing.

If it was an open box, and they said it was new, then they should make this right. I would also contact the consumer division of your Attorney Generals Office in your state, if you do not get any satisfaction.

Hope this helps.

20. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

21. iOrlando macrumors 68000

you must be new to these forums..

if you spend enough time here..you would know best buy is not a store you go into.

22. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

haha ya. the whole best buy thing has been beaten to death. many times.

23. toxictrix thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aaand the plot thickens. Called apple support today they told me it was in for repair in January for a new logic board!!! But get this, Apple says Best Buy did not receive the computer til February.

What I am getting here is that Apple sold Best Buy a used computer.

Anyways, the apple reps refused to help and said to go to Best Buy and talk to them there.

I believe this should be Apple's problem because they even said that they did not sell the computer to Best Buy til February.

Now I have to go to Best Buy and see what happens...

24. 09vdubgti macrumors newbie

CIRCUIT CITY FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! man do i miss that store i always recieved the best service and good deals at my local CC. BB just seems to not care about the customer.