The best external Retina display yet?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by forlong, Nov 15, 2014.

1. forlong macrumors newbie

Now that I've had a Retina screen for more than a year, I don't want to buy a desktop computer with a standard DPI display. I've browsed the Web and haven't found an equivalent to those gorgeous rMBP displays. Screens are either too big to get a 200+ DPI or have major flaws (search "Dell UP1424Q wake from sleep" on Google). My searches therefore led me to hacks such as these:

http://www.adafruit.com/product/1652
    http://dp2mbpr.rozsnyo.com/

The first one is small, sure, but I've been using a 13" laptop for three years and even thought of switching to an iPad with an external keyboard, so it could be a temporary solution while manufacturers get something good out there. I could also have two of those. The second one would be great, I'd just need to mount it on some stand. The technician behind this tells me it wouldn't a good solution for a primary monitor, I can't see why not?

My only concern is with DisplayPort. All Retina-like displays out there that use this port seem to have trouble waking from sleep. Would this also be the case with those screens? Somebody experimented this? You think it looks like a good idea?

2. edanuff macrumors 6502

That's why people are interested in the new Dell P2415Q, since hopefully as an SST monitor, it won't have the same wake from sleep problems as the UP2414Q. Although SST monitors also have wake from sleep issues, the wake from sleep problems for MST monitors are supposedly from the fact that the Mac sends the wake up and sleep commands on only one of the two MST channels and the UP2414Q unfortunately listens for these commands on the other channel. However, with 4K at 24", you'll still only be getting 185 ppi, which should still be very good. The ideal "retina" display for 4K would be around 21" but I don't think anyone makes such a panel yet, although Apple will need one if it intends to take the 21.5" iMac to retina.

3. forlong thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll give it a try when it arrives in Europe if and only if Dell allows some sort of 10-day return policy. I'll call them on Monday and see if that would be possible for the U2414Q. I'm not sure a monitor cheaper than the U2414Q sounds very appealing to me, though. I'd buy something pricier if I was sure it's sturdy but Dell doesn't give me that impression.

Nobody likes the screens I linked though?! Why?

4. KenAFSPC, Nov 16, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2014

KenAFSPC macrumors 6502a

Avoid the old U2414Q like the plague. That older model was built with older technology and it has various firmware issues that make it a usability nightmare. The Dell P2415Q is the monitor to get if you want a Retina-like 24". It is the latest model (with the latest technology) and it fixes the issues that plagued the U2414Q.

The U2414Q is more expensive because it featured the first 24" 4k panel on the market (1st generation LG LM238WR1) and LG only produced that panel in very low volumes. LG is now cranking out their 2nd generation 24" 4k panel (LG LM238WR2) - found in the Dell P2415Q - by the tens of thousands, which substantially reduces their cost, so you will see them everywhere shortly. Dell is just the first to market.

5. forlong thread starter macrumors newbie

Has that new screen actually been tested? I thought it wasn't available yet.

6. KenAFSPC macrumors 6502a

Reviewed? No. But LG has been promoting/demo'ing its second generation 4k panels (found in the Dell P2415Q, P2715Q, and P2515Q) for several months now.

7. majkom macrumors 65816

am i right that these ultra hd monitors wont work with new mac mini at 60hz?

8. MRrainer macrumors 6502a

AFAIK: 2014 Mini can't do 4K at all.
    Display doesn't matter.

9. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

10. Gator Bob macrumors regular

My gorgeous brand new 2414 has NO issues. Presumably it has the latest firmware revisions because it was shipped direct from Dell, which on request matched Amazon's $735 price.

11. forlong thread starter macrumors newbie

12. Gator Bob macrumors regular

No, warm on top but that's all. My IR temp sensor just now said 96 at the top vent. Some years ago, I returned an Apple TBD because I found it too hot.

13. forlong thread starter macrumors newbie

That's interesting, like I said I might buy one if they offer a return policy. Are you running it at 60Hz in Retina mode?

14. MRrainer macrumors 6502a

Yes - but for me, that is as good as "no".

I had crap low-refresh rate monitors with my two first computers.
    I bought a 17" Iiyama ASAP. And then a 19" and then got a 21" HP that weighted tons.

There's no point ruining ones eyes for 700 USD.

15. Gator Bob macrumors regular

Yes, 60 Hz and Displayport 1.2 now is default setting on the displays with the latest firmware revision, which Dell shipped to me.

Dell's return policy is they pay return shipping, no questions asked.

This forum sure has a lot of misinformed posts.

16. Gator Bob macrumors regular

I generated some of the misinformation. Our late 2013 Retina MacBook Pro drives the 2414 at 30 Hz, not 60 Hz. For our apps, Photoshop and spreadsheets, it's not an issue but it will be for some others. More later on satisfactory but lower usable resolutions than the 4K claim.

17. edanuff macrumors 6502

At 30Hz, that monitor behaves fairly well so if you're happy with that refresh rate, then it's going to be a great monitor for you. Most of the issues happen when running with 60Hz MST.

18. Gator Bob, Nov 18, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2014

Gator Bob macrumors regular

Also, the 30Hz refresh rate supports UTube with no slowdowns or glitches.

I just saw the new 27" iMac 5K display at the Apple store. WOW! And Apple store display iMacs have only the basic GPU, basic processor and 8 GB RAM.

We'll get a new iMac for my wife whenever it's refreshed with a Broadwell processor and I'll inherit her late 2013 15" MacBook pro and UP2414Q.