Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Filini

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
Hi, how do you think, what is the best file manager for 10.5.x. With Midnight Commander I have a problem at start.

sl1200mk2

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2006
I really like Pathfinder myself. Huge amount of features and has been very stable for my needs. I don't use it as a finder replacement, but I do use it quite a bit.

Regards,

Wayne

YMark

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2008
Arizona
I downloaded Pathfinder last night and played with it for about an hour. I think this program might be a keeper. It eliminates the need for muCommander and TigerLauncher, although I'd keep QuickSilver around.

I like the tabs, and dual panes, plus the small terminal window. I'm impressed so far.

bsmr

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2005
Germany
I'm searching for a good, easy Filemanager which provides FTP/SFTP functionality!

Any suggestions??

Archive

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2007
I already tried it - quite nice. But what about key-shortcuts like "Total Commander for Win" or mucommander - F1>F12 and so on....

I like to work with those kind of shortcuts - even opening folders with "enter".

Try going into ForkLift's preferences and click the "Shortcuts" icon.

There's a pulldown menu called "Key binding set:" where you can choose between "Commander" and "Finder".

I found that "Commander" is pretty close to TotalCommander (best App I ever used on windows). In addition, you can change individual operation keys in the box below the pull-down menu.

Tex-Twil

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2008
Berlin
Hi,
I am a big fan of Total Commander on Windows and the closest equivalent on OSX I've found is Disk Order. It has all the features Total Commander has: ftp, sftp, tabs, F keys ...

Strangely, I use PathFinder or Finder. I could get used to Disk Order.

Give it a try ;)

acurafan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
is there a way in pathfinder to list TOTAL folder size in list view for all given folders? :confused:

for example, in Windows i use ExplorerXP and will generate size list for all folders in my path.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.