The best file manager for 10.5.x

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Filini, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Filini macrumors newbie

Filini

Hi, how do you think, what is the best file manager for 10.5.x. With Midnight Commander I have a problem at start.

2. blodwyn macrumors 65816

PathFinder, Forklift or Leap are all worth a look. Pathfinder has a lot of features, Forklift has FTP and Amazon S3 support built in, and Leap is more interesting to the tagger. Try them all and see if any suit you.

3. sl1200mk2 macrumors 6502

I really like Pathfinder myself. Huge amount of features and has been very stable for my needs. I don't use it as a finder replacement, but I do use it quite a bit.

Regards,

Wayne

4. Filini thread starter macrumors newbie

Filini

5. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

I downloaded Pathfinder last night and played with it for about an hour. I think this program might be a keeper. It eliminates the need for muCommander and TigerLauncher, although I'd keep QuickSilver around.

I like the tabs, and dual panes, plus the small terminal window. I'm impressed so far.

6. buddyspencer macrumors regular

I'm searching for a good, easy Filemanager which provides FTP/SFTP functionality!

Any suggestions??

7. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

I'd recommend Forklift.

8. buddyspencer macrumors regular

I already tried it - quite nice. But what about key-shortcuts like "Total Commander for Win" or mucommander - F1>F12 and so on....

I like to work with those kind of shortcuts - even opening folders with "enter".

9. Archive macrumors member

Try going into ForkLift's preferences and click the "Shortcuts" icon.

There's a pulldown menu called "Key binding set:" where you can choose between "Commander" and "Finder".

I found that "Commander" is pretty close to TotalCommander (best App I ever used on windows). In addition, you can change individual operation keys in the box below the pull-down menu.

10. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Hi,
    I am a big fan of Total Commander on Windows and the closest equivalent on OSX I've found is Disk Order. It has all the features Total Commander has: ftp, sftp, tabs, F keys ...

Strangely, I use PathFinder or Finder. I could get used to Disk Order.

Give it a try ;)

11. acurafan macrumors 6502a

is there a way in pathfinder to list TOTAL folder size in list view for all given folders? :confused:

for example, in Windows i use ExplorerXP and will generate size list for all folders in my path.