The best FM Transmitter (or modulator) + Charger for iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by ziggyonice, Feb 22, 2009.

1. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Okay, I've had enough of this.

Will someone please just tell me what is the best fm transmitter + charger for the iPhone. No auxiliary jack, no rewiring the system.

Thank you.

P.S. I searched high and low, but to no avail did I find a definite answer.

2. ottoman1384 macrumors newbie

yea, i'd like to get an answer to this too. but the cheaper the better.

3. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

The one that I have since Sept '08 still has static, I think every single one of them does but the international mode does the trick but I've heard the newer versions doesn't have that feature anymore since it was against FCC here in the US. The one I have is from Griffin, it's at the BestBuy website. iTrip Autopilot, I can't post the link thanks to my iPhone. :rolleyes:

4. keynina macrumors newbie

keynina

I found the best thing since sliced bread...http://www.crutchfield.com/S-9oDEWuNVIo6/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?i=142FMMOD01
    It's not wireless so there's no interference. Not to be confused with an FM transmitter. Basically it adds an AUX input to ANY radio. No searching for a clean channel.

It feeds your audio signal from a headphone jack ( or RCA cables) by FM modulation, directly into the antenna input on your radio bypassing the antenna when on, allowing the radio to work as normal when off. It comes with an On/Off switch.

This is the answer. Totally versatile.

Here's one in action - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHBI0LBGhR0

5. ziggyonice thread starter macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Hmm... interesting. Does anyone have any experience using these? How does installation work?

6. Bodah macrumors regular

7. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

The one I got with my iPod back in 2005 is the best I've ever seen. It completely overpowers any radio station (even if it's playing music) and never has static.

Think it's called RoadTrip. I don't remember ATM. Got it at the Apple store though.

Edit: Here's the link. Looks nothing like mine but hey, it is over three years old.

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/roadtrip

8. jamespa66 macrumors 6502

I would agree that this is the best FM transmitter out there. Bad part is not compatible with the iphone, will broadcast but not charge the phone.

9. ziggyonice thread starter macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Okay, after doing some comparison, I've narrowed it down to two, both made by Griffin. Seeing as I want the BEST FM transmitter money can buy, these are what I'm looking at.

iTrip Auto Pilot ($99)
    PROs: FM Transmitter, Charges iPhone, Ability to pause/play/skip without touching iPhone
    CONs: Product is not a dock/cradle, no steering wheel remote

RoadTrip with SmartScan ($99)
    PROs: FM Transmitter, Charges iPhone, Product is a dock/cradle
    CONS: No way to control music externally whatsoever, no steering wheel remote

These items being said, I'm leaning towards the iTrip Auto Pilot. I'd really like a means of controlling my music without having to look down at my iPhone. This product has a means of doing so (although it's not as convenient as having an attached remote to my steering wheel).

At the same time though, using Google Maps would be great to have in a dock/cradle...

Ugh, I don't know... ideas? thoughts? suggestions? :confused:

10. ziggyonice thread starter macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

As interesting (and high quality sound) as the idea of an FM modulator is, I have no clue as to how it is installed...

11. jbutterfill macrumors newbie

griffin itrip - DICE is much better

I have had two, a really cheap transmitter and the top of the line griffin which has a usb charger. I was gutted to find when I purchased the expensive griffin (supposed the be the best in the market) it wasnt any better than the cheaper one.

I have come to the conclusion that all transmitters have VERY poor quality sound and frequent interference, even deep in the countryside!

In the end I purchased a DICE module that pretends to be a cd changer and links in to the cd changer on the back of the stereo, it links the the ipod/iphone via the normal apple connector. It is exceptional quality and was well worth the £100.

12. 3gbuff macrumors member

im using the Belkin Tunebase FM for Ipod and Iphone (F8Z183).

Works really well, no interference and clear sounding. When the phone rings, youll hear it in your car speakers but cannot hear the person calling after you answer it. I put my phone on speaker to continue my call. After hanging up, the music resumes where it left off. Its got 2 presets and 3 sound modes.
    Also charges the phone.
    Ive tried a few of them and the Belkin has the best sound.

13. sourlemons98 macrumors newbie

14. SevFont macrumors newbie

I always questioned the quality of FM transmitters. I still use the standard tape deck attachment. I seem to get better quality off those over the transmitters.

15. runnerdude macrumors newbie

CarFM from PDO

I have tried the Belkin and Griffin models, as well as one really awful knockoff that was a bust. None of them was great.

The best one I have found is the CarFM from PDO. I don't think this is a big company and the products cannot be found in Best Buy, Apple, etc. I got mine from their website www.pdostore.com

This one has worked great, both sound quality and hands-free.

16. runnerdude macrumors newbie

17. supra92 macrumors newbie

Why FM Transmitters, I have test a few in the past for a project and not a single one did the job
    FM transmitters are the most popular and convenient way of playing an MP3 device through a car stereo. They typically plug into an iPod's dock or headphone jack to create what is essentially a low-wattage pirate radio station—powerful enough to be picked up by your car radio inches away, but not strong enough to interfere with neighboring car radios. Unfortunately, these transmitters need to compete with real (and far more powerful) radio stations and are easily swamped by 6000 watts of classic rock. When this happens, the sound that comes out of the speakers can be a cacophonous mix of static, local radio stations and whatever your iPod is playing. This problem is exacerbated by FCC regulations, which prohibit FM transmitters from broadcasting at greater than 18.75 nanowatts, essentially ensuring that they won't work well. And while this problem is particularly pronounced in cities with crowded airwaves, the issue exists nearly everywhere in the country. There's another downside to FM transmitters: Even under ideal conditions, FM radio just can't deliver excellent sound quality.

The best way to input audio from your iPod iPhone into the car stereo is using a direct connection ,most car stereos come with an additional port on the back side, this is to be used with the optional external CD changer, satellite radio or rear DVD.

next time look for an iPod interface or auxiliary audio input adapter made for your vehicle, not FM not universal