The best free VOIP service for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bomadian, Jul 1, 2008.

1. bomadian macrumors member

Are there any good options for free VOIP services that work well on Mac? I want the ability to play sound files on calls and so far I haven't found jack!

All the best.

2. bomadian thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the suggestion. I looked into skype and found that it's only FREE for calls between skype users - i really should have pointed out that I want to make calls to landlines (non-skype users). I also couldn't find an easy way to play sound files on skype calls without going into stuff thats over my head!

Does anyone else know a free service out there and how to implement sound files into calls without knowing coding!!!??

Thanks!!!

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

i don't know any free service from VoIP to landlines.

4. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

I don't think there are any, the closest to free is probably MagicJack but it isn't software based, works on a Mac just doesn't include a soft phone.

5. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Another user suggesting Skype.

If you think about what you are asking for - free calls to landlines ? It costs money to connect the call so who is going to pay for the connection if not you?

It cannot be free without some very intrusive advertising.

6. bomadian thread starter macrumors member

I've found a few that are free but the call is limited in duration:

http://www.voipcheap.com

I think skype it is then. Thanks for your help, if anyone works out how to play sound files in calls please let me know!!!!