The best games for Mac, doesn't seem to be many?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by MythicFrost, Apr 14, 2009.

1. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

I'm wondering what the best Mac games are, I like games like Warcraft 3 (hate WoW), Age of Empires 3, etc.. I like strategy and RPGs, I can only seem to find very few games...

Anyone know of some good ones?
    Mac seem to be very limited with choices for games.

Kind Regards
    Me

2. ceezy3000 macrumors 6502

ceezy3000

im not sure if what im into fall into ur guidlines(actually im sure they dont) but u HAFF 2 get CoD4 , also the best games for mac in my opinion are CoD4, Quake 4, halo is fun to play once in a while. age of empires which i think u already have and CoD2,i got CoD4 and Halo free tho no torrents or anything i just got em free:p also well nvm

3. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

I'll have a look at CoD4, I'll never play Quake, I played once when I was 6 or 7, never played again, scared me to death nearly.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Kind Regards
    Me

4. janstett macrumors 65816

Do you have an Intel Mac? Just install Boot Camp and take your pick from the PC games. Unfortunately a lot of the Mac games are ports of old PC games.

Another suggestion is to consider buying a dedicated game console. IMO PC gaming has been drying up somewhat (nowhere near as much selection as say 5 years ago). Look into an XBox 360 or a PS3. The consoles have come a long way as far as gameplay, internet connectivity, using a keyboard and mouse, etc.

5. Arizona macrumors newbie

Starcraft and Diablo both for me.

Used to play that 3-D shooter a lot as well, god… what was the name, they had three sequels.

Playing bf 2142 on the Mac now but not really fond of the gameplay. Bootcamp seems to be the way to go.

6. oblomow macrumors 68020

oblomow

Without a doubt: World of Goo! (not a mac exclusive, also available for the Wii and pc).

7. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

Get CrossOver Games and the Dawn of War complete box set, throw in some of the excellent mods and you have one of the best RTS games around.

8. kahlil88 macrumors member

kahlil88

There's some really fun free games for Mac OS X:

9. jakeguy99 macrumors regular

jakeguy99

Homeworld 2 is a really fun strat game with good graphics and a lot of units and upgrades. It is also very fun online. Rise of nations is also quite fun. If you are looking for a RPG check out the newer Fable.

10. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Get an emulator and go find some ROMS of console games from days gone by.

11. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Macs can run OSX and windows, so all PC games will run on Macs with the proper graphics card.

So actually Macs have MORE selection of games than pcs because Macs can run both OSX and windows games.

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

That's hilarious :D If you like a huge performance drop running OSX then yea, technically OSX can play any PC game (illegally and clumsily). I prefer playing PC games under XP and getting the most out of my system.

13. StuPidQPid macrumors member

If you like strategy and RPGs, then you should like Neverwinter Nights 2.
    Graphics are OK, interface can be clunky at times, but overall has a great story line and very immersive.

14. acurafan macrumors 6502a

lol, who plays hardcore games on a mac?? they're on the wrong side of the pasture ;)

15. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Anything by Blizzard, most Maxis games (Spore, Sims, Sim City - though I wasn't able to play Sim City 4 on my Mac Pro despite the UB patch), Bungie games prior to Halo, several Call of Dutys, the new Prince of Persia (I had no idea the was a Mac version!), Fable, LOTS of classic and shareware titles. I'm not naming the "best" games, just things to look for. There's not much, but sometimes more than it seems. A lot of the smaller or less "hardcore" titles tend to be worthwhile. Worlf of Goo is available for Mac and Braid is about to be released. Greenhouse has some cool stuff to look through. You can also check out Inside Mac Games.

Er what? What's illegal and clumsy?

16. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

You seem to be under the assumption of emulation like the old days of Virtual PC.

We have boot camp now, which for all purposes is just a PC.
    And a bunch of other options available as well.

17. smacky! macrumors member

Strategy you say?

then CnC Generals:Zero Hour - not only are there tons of mods (adding to the hours of gameplay) there's a super-active community. Still one of the best strategy gameplay games ever - the latest mod me and my buddies loaded (Contra 005) - the AI does stuff we've never seen an AI do; we *actually* legitimately lose even when we're trying DAMN hard not to!

Playing on th ePC side is fun (but a pain if you're bootcamping) - I know some folks crossoevr or w/e, but for me, that presents more hassle than it's worth - i just wanna play! not mess w/this driver, that port - feh! rebooting is WAY easier - while I can't play *all* PC games on High settings, most play fairly well (altho i shoudl say I don't play many graphically intense RPGs or FPS's) - on the PC side, Sins of a Solar Empire is pretty neat of you like epic strategy games.

I find most games are rather boring and easy to play - Zero Hour can be very challenging, esp. when playing against fellow humans. And the mods don't seem to be slowing down either, for such and 'older' game.

18. Foop macrumors member

Rodus, can you confirm you're plating DoW under crossover games with good results? There's no compatibility information of codeweaver's site, and I was hoping to pick this up if it works.

19. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

^^ I can confirm that, it plays great. I have the Complete Collection boxset and it installed and plays perfectly and every mod I've tried (Tyranids, DoW Pro, SS.XP and many more) works perfectly too.
    I think there was originally an install issue with the multiple CD versions but the complete collection is DVD based so problem solved. I tend to ignore the CodeWeavers site for compatibility as it's rarely updated and sometimes just plain wrong.

20. bikalpapaudel macrumors member

bikalpapaudel

I've been hearing this and believe this. If you are a Mac User, a console could be your best bet for gaming. Or maybe Boot Camp, but then I feel BootCamp irksome.

21. Topper macrumors 65816

Topper

X-Plane

The only game I play is the flight sim X-Plane.

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Illegal would be running a Steam game outside of Steam which you need to do in order to run in OSX, clumsy would be the drop in performance by emulation and virtualization.

No, I play games under XP I'm well aware of what a Mac can do thank you very much :).

But just to clarify I thought the poster meant a non-Windows native method when they said "so all PC games will run on Macs with the proper graphics card".

23. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

Boot Camp is a pain to re-boot into so I try and aviod it if possible. As for consoles, RTS games suck on them compared to a mouse and keyboard computer setup and frankly I prefer a mouse/keyboard for FPS as well, add to the fact that modding is available on computer based games too and you have a compelling argument for not just console gaming.

24. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

thanks above poster for those classic clones.

Can I get some suggestions for games that are good for on the go (or at work on laptop), not requiring a mouse, but trackpad is fine.

I have world of Goo...and Solitaire XL

25. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Here is one of the best.

Perhaps #2 for best MacMMO's