The best hard drive setup in a Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Peterjk, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Peterjk macrumors newbie

My two 640 GB WDC drives have been a bit flacky lately, so I decided to let them "retire". My new setup (to arrive any day now) are two 1TB Samsung SATA's and one 480 OWC Extreme SSD disk.

I've done the research, but are still in doubt.

Would you agree that I would get the most responsive system, by installing the OS X and samplers and Virtual Instruments on the SSD and then format to the two 1TB with two partitions on each. The first (ones) to function as work drive and the second (ones) to function as a placeholder for older finished projects. This way I used the SSD for the system, the fastest part of the SATAs for current projects and the slowest part of the disk for long term storage.

Agree? Or did I misunderstood something?

BTW I am running fairly large ProTools mixing sessions 120 tracks of sometimes 4 hours audio. Also running songwriting sessions with fewer tracks (in the 80s) but with loads of VI's.

Mac Pro 2 x 2.26 Ghz (early 2009) 12 GB ram.

Any comments or suggestions are extremely welcome...

2. LaazyEye macrumors regular

Agreed, but I would also save your one most current project on the SSD as you're working on it, and then move it when you find you frequent it less often.

3. Peterjk thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, tempting. But from what I've read/heard, it's not a good idea to read AND write a lot to an SSD? That's why I thought the OS and the sample library on the SSD would be the thing to do, since there more readin' from than writin' to the SSD once the OS and Sample Library is in place?

Is it an (old) myth that readin AND writing a lot to an SSD will eventually slow it down?

4. LaazyEye macrumors regular

It wasn't a myth until a few years ago when SSD started to really develop. Now, the rewrites are better than that of an HDD; if you were to fully rewrite every single bit on the SSD everyday, it'd take you about 20 years at least to get any failure.

Here's some good reading (and reassurance) on the subject

http://www.storagesearch.com/ssdmyths-endurance.html

http://lifehacker.com/5802838/how-to-maximize-the-life-of-your-ssd