Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Libertine Lush

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 23, 2009
Since my new MBP came with a Seagate, instead of a Hitachi, as I had hoped--and more importantly cause it makes a constant, very slight sound (which does not seem uncommon from what I've read about Seagate drives here)--I'll most likely upgrade it to a Hitachi Travelstar 7K500.

I'd like to ask if there are any HDD enclosures that are best for MBPs. This seems like a fairly generic procedure, but even in switching to Mac only recently I've learned specific brands/lines some times just work better with MBPs or OSX (ie, TRIM-enabled SSD for Windows vs. Garbage collecting-capable SSDs for OSX).

This (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...53807124 1054107131&ShowDeactivatedMark=False) is Newegg's list of options. Are there any standouts? If there isn't, I'll just go for their top rated one, the Rosewill.

My understanding is that it simply needs to be a 2.5", SATA interface enclosure, is that correct?

Thanks all!

hypermog

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2009
That rosewill one will do fine, I don't think it makes any difference as long as it works.

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
OWC has a wide range of enclosures, firewire, usb, and various combinations,check these out:
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/enclosure-kits/
However, even the cheaper Mac retail outlets are expensive compared with the cases available at any PC shop. I have two USB cases that cost less than $10 with a nice length USB cable, and they work fine bus powered on my 2009 MacBook Pro for data storage or boot up disks.
I also have a WD Passport 500 GB that works fine with firewire or USB, bus powered.
You should beable to order something good online fairly cheap, but if there is a PC parts shop close by drop in and see what they have. There is no difference (except price) between external drive cases sold for use with Windows and a Mac, but firewire is rare in PC land.

trondah

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2008
You definately want an enclosure with Firewire, you get much better transfer speeds than USB 2.0.

I highly recommend G-Drive Mini, they have a nice aluminum finish and FW800/USB2. The disk is swappable.

Libertine Lush

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 23, 2009
OWC has a wide range of enclosures, firewire, usb, and various combinations,check these out:
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/enclosure-kits/

There is no difference (except price) between external drive cases sold for use with Windows and a Mac, but firewire is rare in PC land.

Thanks for confirming that.

I had looked into OWC. In fact, I was going to purchase the Hitachi from them, since they have some package options that include an enclosure and tool kit. But after more research, I realized the Hitachi packages they're selling don't appear to be in it's retail package, just the drive by itself. I don't understand why that is or what difference it makes, but it's a bit unsettling. Even if that weren't an issue, the Newegg price of buying the Hitachi and enclosure separately is still better.

You definately want an enclosure with Firewire, you get much better transfer speeds than USB 2.0.

I highly recommend G-Drive Mini, they have a nice aluminum finish and FW800/USB2. The disk is swappable.

Do they make only enclosures to be sold separately?

I considered Firewire, but since I may simply use it to make image backups of the Hitachi infrequently (as I'll be using an external Western Digital with Time Machine frequently), I think I'll be fine with USB, plus it costs less.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.