The best HDD Enclosure to pair with a MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Libertine Lush, May 9, 2010.

1. Libertine Lush macrumors 6502a

Since my new MBP came with a Seagate, instead of a Hitachi, as I had hoped--and more importantly cause it makes a constant, very slight sound (which does not seem uncommon from what I've read about Seagate drives here)--I'll most likely upgrade it to a Hitachi Travelstar 7K500.

I'd like to ask if there are any HDD enclosures that are best for MBPs. This seems like a fairly generic procedure, but even in switching to Mac only recently I've learned specific brands/lines some times just work better with MBPs or OSX (ie, TRIM-enabled SSD for Windows vs. Garbage collecting-capable SSDs for OSX).

This (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...53807124 1054107131&ShowDeactivatedMark=False) is Newegg's list of options. Are there any standouts? If there isn't, I'll just go for their top rated one, the Rosewill.

My understanding is that it simply needs to be a 2.5", SATA interface enclosure, is that correct?

Thanks all!

2. hypermog macrumors regular

That rosewill one will do fine, I don't think it makes any difference as long as it works.

3. davidlv macrumors 65816

OWC has a wide range of enclosures, firewire, usb, and various combinations,check these out:
    http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/enclosure-kits/
    However, even the cheaper Mac retail outlets are expensive compared with the cases available at any PC shop. I have two USB cases that cost less than $10 with a nice length USB cable, and they work fine bus powered on my 2009 MacBook Pro for data storage or boot up disks.
    I also have a WD Passport 500 GB that works fine with firewire or USB, bus powered.
    You should beable to order something good online fairly cheap, but if there is a PC parts shop close by drop in and see what they have. There is no difference (except price) between external drive cases sold for use with Windows and a Mac, but firewire is rare in PC land.

4. trondah macrumors 6502

You definately want an enclosure with Firewire, you get much better transfer speeds than USB 2.0.

I highly recommend G-Drive Mini, they have a nice aluminum finish and FW800/USB2. The disk is swappable.

5. Libertine Lush thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for confirming that.

I had looked into OWC. In fact, I was going to purchase the Hitachi from them, since they have some package options that include an enclosure and tool kit. But after more research, I realized the Hitachi packages they're selling don't appear to be in it's retail package, just the drive by itself. I don't understand why that is or what difference it makes, but it's a bit unsettling. Even if that weren't an issue, the Newegg price of buying the Hitachi and enclosure separately is still better.

Do they make only enclosures to be sold separately?

I considered Firewire, but since I may simply use it to make image backups of the Hitachi infrequently (as I'll be using an external Western Digital with Time Machine frequently), I think I'll be fine with USB, plus it costs less.