the best headphones worth buying

Discussion in 'iPod' started by bams27, Jun 18, 2007.

1. bams27 macrumors member

bams27

okay the last headphone i bought was the bose ie headphones. too many problems and not that good. so recommend me the best worth buying from $50-120.

what i need it for:
    i listen to my ipod 4 8 hrs a day.
    will use for jogging and workout.

needs:
    must fit well with ears comfortably
    must not fall off.
    and sound would be the best
    dont care if its noise cancelling or not

any recommendations?thanx

2. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

To be honest, I buy those 99 cent earbuds at walmart. They fit pretty well, and the sound quality is pretty darn good for what they cost. (mind you, not real good sound quality, but for 99 cents it's good enough. :))

3. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

Maybe a pair of Shures? (Although a fair stretch off from Cassie's recommendation)

Edit: Or maybe these?

4. bams27 thread starter macrumors member

bams27

i've narrowed it down to these:

Sennheiser CX300-B Earbuds (Black)
    Ultimate Ears Metro.fi 2 Earphones Black with Silver Trim
    V-MODA Bass Freq Earbuds - Bling Bling Black
    V-MODA Vibe Earbuds - Flashback Chrome
    Etymotic Research ER6i Isolator Earphones (Black)
    Shure E2C Sound Isolating Earphones

please help.

im a music freak so i just am not satisfied with a 99c earphone sorry

5. bams27 thread starter macrumors member

bams27

6. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

I'd read the reviews on them. The VModa's apparently have bad casing or something. (Sorry, I just browsed the reviews) Something to look into. :)

7. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

The Audio Technica EM7 is an excellent set of headphones. As clip-ons, they don't fall off easily, either. You might be able to get them cheaper on eBay or the like.

irmongoose

8. 210 macrumors regular

Earphones

I have the Shure e2c earphones and I love them. The sound quality is stunning and they're quite durable. However, I'm not sure about jogging with them as they are in-ear earphones and so when you run (or even walk), you can hear the thudding of your steps. It's OK when walking, but annoying when running.

9. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I use Shure e4c's and they sound fantastic, but I never have found that earbuds work for exercise.

What I have found is that the B&O headphones are ideal for when you are jostling around. Give them a try.

10. babababoon macrumors newbie

I have Shure E2C and they work really well for me. I love them. I wear them for ~4 hrs when I am at work and they are still comfy. Hope this helps:)

11. ToddW macrumors 6502a

the shure e2c's are good but they lack a little bit of the deep sounds. they seem to have good highs but not ver good lows. i also have a pair of ultimate ear super fi 5 pro's and those things are awesome. so do your research and see what you can sacrifice.

12. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i have the shure e2cs as well and would recommend them

13. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

I'd say go with the Sennheiser CX300-Bs. I have them and absolutely love them. They have great tone, are quite comfortable, reduce some noise, great quality, and are a good midrange price that you're looking for. I got mine for about $50, i know a lot of places advertise for around $70 for them so if you shop around you may be able to find them for cheaper.

14. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I own V-Moda Vibes. (In flashback chrome, too) they have absolutely amazing sound, and they fit really well. Strongly recommended.

15. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I have had 4 pairs of Shure's (e2, e3, e4, e5)

they are great value and you can find them very cheap on eBay...i can give you a good reputable seller (not me) that is an authorized Shure dealer that will give you the 2 year warranty.....

the v-moda's i highly don't recommend the sound quality isn't up to par...

I would vote for the Sennheiser's they are the best value (just don't buy them off eBay)...and they have great bass as well as noise canceling at par with the Shure's. Acoustically they are a little less and not comparable to some....say the Shure e4's. The one note is that they probably won't stay in your ears for jogging purposes, IDN i could be wrong, i just dont imagine that they would, Shure's over the ear method is amazing for that. If you look hard enough you could buy the e3's, they would be towards the top of your price range, but they are a better all around headphone then the e2.

2 other notes:

1. Try the Bose (if you haven't) very few people like them, but those that do tend to love them.
    2. Grado's....maybe the iGrado? I've never heard much about it, but my father loves his sr60's

16. munckee macrumors 65816

I have a pair of e2c's as well and love them. That said, they're not great for running. I sweat mine out of my ears after 20 minutes or so. Unfortunately, I've given up on finding a pair of decent running headphones. I don't know exactly what's so tough about making them, but they don't exist as far as I'm concerned.

The best I had were a pair of hybrid in-ear/around the back ones from Maxell with a single wire. I think they were $12 or something and lasted a few years. Unfortunately, when they died I went through quite a few replacements trying to find something good until I finally just gave up (they don't make those maxells any more and the new ones stink).

17. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

I swear by my B&O headphones. The sound is fantastic, although not too revealing to the extent that MP3 sounds bad (although I try and stay above 192 kbps), fantastic bass for in-ears, natural sounding midrange and generally very spacious stereo image. There are better sounding earphones out there, but all that I've listened to just bring up too much detail in the sound and end up making your MP3s or AACs sound really bad.

The B&Os certainly look the bees-knees as well. And the rubber on the arm which grips around your ear expands when you sweat and grips you tigher. I can lift my whole Tivoli radio off the ground via the headphones cable with my A8s holding onto my ears, very tight. I kinda found them awkward at first, but after a while, you get used to them. They're very comfortable with the foam-pads on (which come in the box) and also have a funky little leather pouch to keep them in (comes with them).

18. bams27 thread starter macrumors member

bams27

can i sample the headphones through the apple store?

looks like majority are shure e2c owners..i'll try if i like it

19. shipdestroyer macrumors 6502

Funny, my dad gave me his veteran pair of sr60s recently. Very nice headphones.

20. bams27 thread starter macrumors member

bams27

so i have a bose ie triport headphones and the cord is about to break. i called bose if they could repair this. and they said just ship the item to us and we will give you a brand new pair! wow! ain't that cool? but i have to decide whether i should sell that and buy something new like shure,sennheiser or vmoda.what do u think?

21. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

unless you don't like the can style...i would stick with them. They are going to sound better then the vmoda's by far and probably the shure's (at least the balance of bass/acoustic) wont be comparable. The Sennheiser's I like a lot for the $50 range. If you like the cans but no the Bose I highly recommend the Grado's SR series, they are amazinggggggg....

22. jialuolu macrumors regular

Do you live in an area that has very cold winters? I owned a pair of Shure E2Cs and I found the over-the-ear design to be a design flaw. The wire became exposed on both sides where they were bent from about 6 months of almost daily use. And then one day in the winter, a segment of the cord just snapped in half. :confused: But the sound quality was fine and the noise isolation worked great so now I'm looking into the E4Cs

23. djbahdow01 macrumors 6502a

Very Happy with my Sony MDR-EX71s. Great sound quality, fits great, and I've been able to run in them as well. Great pair of headphones. Believe I paid $65 total for them probably less but I'm really not sure.

24. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

while i'm not exactly an audiophile, i understand that what's "best" greatly depends on what kind of music you like.

for example, i'm a basshead and i got myself a pair of AKG K-81 DJ. i also have a pair of JVC marshmallows that deliver decent bass and comfort for working out/running. i tend to destroy earphones when i'm running around, so the $20 JVCs make sense as i can replace them w/o breaking the bank.

fwiw, the CX300 are the same as the creative EP-630, which are sold at half of what the senns cost. engineering and design for both phones are the exactly the same since the they are designed by another japanese company. the only difference is that one has a "J" shaped cable while the other has an "U" shaped cable.

while the vibes have awesome looks, they don't quite warrant the price (again, in terms of bass). also, they are not exactly isolating either. they do leak sound and it's probably not a good idea to use them at a library.

you can find a lot more info on head-fi.