The best iPhone story!!

punitnaker

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
The most amazing thing happened at work today. A friend of mine was going out for lunch and walked into the lift (elevator) writing a text on his iPhone 3GS.

Some how he dropped it and it bounced around in slow motion a couple of time and slide into the gap between the lift and the doors!! The phone plummets 3 storeys into the basement!

The guy was nearly in tears while he told the security guard downstairs and they organised an engineer to come out to get it out.

A couple of hours later, the security guard comes back with the iPhone in ONE PIECE!. There were some minor scratches but it appears to be in full working condition.

I've never heard an iPhone survive a 3 STOREY DROP! Has anyone got any other dropped and survived stories?

esadb

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2008
The most amazing thing happened at work today. A friend of mine was going out for lunch and walked into the lift (elevator) writing a text on his iPhone 3GS.

Some how he dropped it and it bounced around in slow motion a couple of time and slide into the gap between the lift and the doors!! The phone plummets 3 storeys into the basement!

The guy was nearly in tears while he told the security guard downstairs and they organised an engineer to come out to get it out.

A couple of hours later, the security guard comes back with the iPhone in ONE PIECE!. There were some minor scratches but it appears to be in full working condition.

I've never heard an iPhone survive a 3 STOREY DROP! Has anyone got any other dropped and survived stories?
thats the best part of the story. ERTW

orange42

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2009
I feel like I remember someone else saying a story about an iPhone falling between the cracks of an elevator as well? Lucky.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I've dropped a quid through the door gap in my university library's lift. They were very unhelpful, and an engineer coming out to retrieve it was out of the question.

That was my bus fare home..

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
California
I think the plastic back of the previous iPhones does a pretty decent job of absorbing shocks. I've dropped mine quite a bit with no issues.

Sherifftruman

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
Well, each door assembly sticks into the shaft a couple of inches on each floor, so it is possible and more than likely that the phone hit the shaftwall and some doors on the way down which would have slowed the fall each time, so it did not fall straight down and hit.

Aaron1021

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2010
Texas
Well, each door assembly sticks into the shaft a couple of inches on each floor, so it is possible and more than likely that the phone hit the shaftwall and some doors on the way down which would have slowed the fall each time, so it did not fall straight down and hit.
I agree, this is what I was going to say as well.

liamkp

macrumors 68020
May 29, 2010
Uhhmmmm... Good story, but im sure it wouldnt have survived a straight vertical fall of 3 storys without some interruption.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.