The best Mac OS ever

Discussion in 'macOS' started by gustavopi, Mar 20, 2009.

1. gustavopi macrumors member

Yeah, it's a question! And we should do it now becouse it's about to be lounch at the apple stores the newest one, this time, with a different perspective. Until Snow, a new Mac OS were always about new feautures for a new machine (more powerfull). Now is different, and supose to be a better Mac OS, not really a new one.

So what's happening? Is this a 'mea culpa' for making Leopard so heavy? When, in the past, we're happy (...and didn't know)?

I know Mac OS since version 7, buy my first iMac with 8.6, upgrade to 9, Jaguar, Panther, Tiger and buy a MacMini with Leopard.

I beleive my iMac333 got today the best combination of OS 9 (very fast, more stable and compatible than previous) and Tiger (fast enought, very stable, good compatibility). My MacMini Core2Duo got a Leopard that is to heavy, should work better with more memory.

My vote goes to Tiger. Smart, cool features, good performance and runs at any G3.

What do you think?

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I love the Finder and System of my dad's MacPlus with 1MB of RAM, able to work with 800K 3.5" disks.
    It meant no more all keyboard entry, our first Mac, use of Fonts, the amazing mouse and things like cut, copy and paste, and of course my all time favorite -> undo
    The clipboard, Mac Write and Mac Paint.

Then the mayor good change I loved was the possibility to have mutliple applications running at the same time, even many may say that it was or wasn't true multitasking, I liked that I could do all my things at the same time. I don't remember which version this one was.

With Leopard I can run old MacPlus emulation with vMac, and OS9 with SheepShaver. So What can I say, Leopard has given me all the possible Mac OS flavors that I want to have on my current Mac.

Leopard has been much better for me during my OS X experience, and I have high hopes for Snow.

3. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

4. gustavopi thread starter macrumors member

Cool! But not exactly the same thing

Very iteresting!!! But is not EXACTLY I'm discussing here. Leopard should be most enjoyed, if not, it was a disaster like Vista. In my case, MacMini doesn't give to Leopard the hardware pow to be loved by me (somebody likes the multicollor circle???).

I'm asking for the best, considering good and bad hardware, confusing network, non-apple periferals (my Samsung keyboard), etc...

5. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

Leopard. And I cam onto MAC with system 7. I still have some of the manuals.

Some of the specs and the 'feature list' kind of make you laugh. Just as Leopard will make us laugh in about fifteen years.

Optical drives?? Keyboards?? What kind of stone age technology is that? Says my son doing his homework and looking for a history lesson from his dad.

6. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

My iMac G4 came with 10.4 - it was really good but I have since upgraded to 10.5 and it works really smooth and quick for me. So I guess so far, at least for me. Leopard is my choice for best Mac OS ever :cool:

7. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

each new version of X. worst was 7.5 7.6 was a godsend after that. prior to x, 8.1 was a gold standard for reliability for me. I ran a lot of operating systems in my elementary classroom, from cobbled together macs from old parts. If I just wanted them to work for the kids, I put 8.1 on. didn't require a lot of spec, and easy install. 9.0 sucked.

8. Matek macrumors 6502a

I suppose. Microsoft is pulling a similar trick with Windows 7. I think this often happens in software development generally. On one hand, you build in new features which puts more pressure on the hardware, and on the other hand you try to make existing features work faster, which does the opposite.

9. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Add a ? in your title OP, and also a poll - would help get the answers you want :)
    Just advanced edit your 1st post.

10. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Honestly I don't think 10.5 is too system heavy...works well enough on my G4 with 512Mbs of RAM(which I should upgrade)

11. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Has to be Leopard, and whatever new OS that comes after that. I hated Leopard for a while, but Apple started to squash the bugs, and now I got all my Macs running it.