the best macbook pro cover!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by FreshTag, May 25, 2010.

1. FreshTag macrumors newbie

I just got new macbook pro... I mean the newest one!

I heard that macbook pro gets scratch easily so I've been looking for covers...

I've been looking for spek see thru cover
    or
    zagg invisible cover...

plus im getting a soft cover fosho...

but idk which one to get... spek or zagg
    both has pros and cons
    my dad said it's too thick (BS coz ive seen it)
    invisible shield can cause bubble if i dont apply it correctly

2. mrgiapanta macrumors regular

Invisible shield definitely is lighter but I didn't like the idea that I'm putting some kind of sticker on my laptop.

I have Speck seethru Clear case that I got for $29.99 (no tax, free shipping) through Amazon, which is now $49.95 at the moment, and I'm very happy with it. Easy to take it off and easy to clean. The only thing that I didn't like is this case doesn't allow me to connect the magsafe plug outward, but only towards you. It has to do with the Apple's new Macsafe plug design, but when it's plugged inward toward you, the plug covers the Firewire 800 port. Which sucks when I want to have adapter and external hard drive at the same time. I just take the case off when I really need to use both for video editing.

If you are going for Speck, I would suggest getting Clear over Satin. Satin has nice rubbery feeling but many people complained that it collects dirt easily.

If you are getting Zagg. When you enter their Weeekly iPad winning contest you have chance to receive up to 50% off coupon for Zagg.com. So enter your e-mail if they still have those offer and save your money for Invisible Shield purchase.

Hope that helps!

Oh btw, my MBP is 13".

3. puchelaar macrumors newbie

I was in doubt whether to buy Incase or Speck. Went for the Incase because it has holes over the whole width of the bottom part (Speck only has them in half the bottom case).

I''m very happy with it. I've got the black one so my MBP doesn't look like a Mac as much (I figure it's less interesting for potential thieves like this). To even further reduce the Mac-look I put a sheet of Lee colour gel under the top cover, so the Apple logo isn't as bright (it is a very beautifull dark red now, which IMO is even more attractive, but it's a lot less visible).

So 1 vote for the Incase.

PS: for those who know their Lee colour gel numbers; it's #789 'blood red' ;)

4. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech

Could you please share with us by posting a pic?
    Thanks

5. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

Would highly recommend the Speck SeeThru Hardshell case - video review here.

6. PsychOfMSE macrumors member

I wouldn't recommend a case at all.

My 13" MBP is at the heart of my mobile DJ rig. It gets lugged around to multiple clubs/raves every weekend. Not a scratch on it.

These things are hard to scratch.

7. chopper dave macrumors regular

cases eat your money

You're covering one of the hardest materials we have (aluminum oxide, second only to diamond) with an incredibly soft one. Your MBP won't be scratched by most everyday surfaces, except asphalt/concrete/rock.

Also, you're hoping that a little 1/16 layer of plastic will save you from a fall? The case protects by dissipating the energy from a fall. That is fine for a 4 oz iphone, but for a 5lb macbook, you need more like a 1/2" thick layer of rubber to do anything real. That energy from the fall will go right through your case and into bending the case.

On top of that, you're only decreasing the cooling power of the MBP's heatsinks, so your case will help to wear out your fans and run the components at higher temps.

IMO invest your money in a good sleeve so that it won't get hurt when something lands on your bag, or your bag falls out of the car, etc. The safest time for your MBP is when you're using it.

8. flat4 macrumors member

I got it for my mac pro 17, I had the same issue with the mag safe connector. I just took some of the plastic of that corner to accommodate the mag safe and it works just great.

Its not pretty but nobody notices.

9. puchelaar macrumors newbie

Here's 2 images with the backlight on full. If the backlight's not full, the logo's sometimes not visible at all. I still have to cut a new piece of gel, because you can sort of see the outline of this one, and it's smaller than the cover and on top of that it's not cut at right angles. However, irl that's hardly visible.

The 1st image is just a teeny bit brighter than it is irl.
    The 2nd is overexposed a lot, but probably gives a clearer idea of how it's done.

Do note that the case itself already dims the logo a bit, but this filter reduces the output even further; I think on most wavelengths it cuts about 90%...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]