Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Best iPod Ever

• Total voters

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Because the Touch is a Touch.
I want to know the best of the click wheel iPods.

It's like me asking "Apple IIe vs Macintosh 128k vs (list more old Apple's here......) vs Mac Pro."

Then i suggest you change the title.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008

well, technically you have to touch an ipod to use it.

Lol im just being a prick, id have to say the 5.5 gen ipod video. Oh the days before encrypted firmware. It was fun being the only kid in school playing gameboy on their ipod.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
I reckon there are a couple. The 1st Gen iPod was way ahead of its time. Most people weren't ready for it. I'd say it was the best because it was so revolutionary.

Revolution aside, I think the iPod which best embodies what the iPod is about would be the 2nd Gen Nano. It was thin, small, light, and very useable, which all gave way to its primary purpose; portable music. I put my vote to this one.

That said, I still love my 5th Gen iPod and my 4th Gen Nano :D

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I'm still of the thought that "if I gotta deal with a click wheel, give me a crapload of storage." Thus a shout out to the iPod 6G (technically Classic). If the iPhone didn't do all the millions of other things it does, I would cringe at only 8GB of storage. But I let that slide when I'm playing frickin' Spore Origins on it. :)

Bernardinho

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2008
East Sussex, UK, Europe
I reckon there are a couple. The 1st Gen iPod was way ahead of its time. Most people weren't ready for it. I'd say it was the best because it was so revolutionary... snip

Chance for me to review my personal iPod Museum...
---
I have the 1st Gen iPod "Say Hello to iPod" (which I still have... it needs a Mac, and Firewire to sync and recharge... better not get a new syle Macbook). One day I left it in a cafe in Kerala: South India and came back the next day and showed all the features to the guys who had been looking after it (and playing with it!).

Next I bought a Mini (green first gen) which was great and hard to scratch, even when I dropped it in the street. Should have voted for that!

I also owned an original white Shuffle for travelling, (which was not quite beach proof and not quite the same after going in the sea). You remember Steve Jobs asked "ever wondered what this tiny pocket is for?) before revealing it from the smallest front pocket on his Levis. I've never seen a pair of jeans where that pocket goes down deep enough... so did he have the Levis altered specially?

I couldn't resist the white Nano, which was my first with a colour screen. Made to go in your top shirt pocket, great!

And then I bought a 30Gig (video) iPod to make sure my whole music collection could be in one place. The thin form made it better than the top of range one. Also I realised that I wouldn't keep an itunes library that large in one place on the mac either.

Got a green tieClip Shuffle, which is great for cycling in the park (but you shouldn't listen to music on a bike).

the following 3 "iPods" are off topic for this thread.. but I count them.
------
Had a Touch for a year, and sold it (scratch free!) because I bought an iphone.

iPhone original "our best iPod ever" (hardly use the ipod features because battery life for calls and texts is too critical for that).

Lastly upgraded to iPhone 3G! phew!

= 10 iPods in total.

The 30GB ipod is the "best" feature wise. I even bought for it the overpriced Apple case. Italian leather made in China lol.

The original iPod mini was the nicest looking.

The white Nano the most convenient.

The 1st Gen iPod got my vote for nostalgic reasons.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
iPod 5.5G. IMO it's the best looking of all the big iPods, navigation is quick, sound quality brilliant. Best of all that battery has never died on me unlike my 3G iPod. I can take it out with me for the weekend and never worry about the battery until I get home.

I'd love a 160gb HDD and a fresh battery for when mine start failing in the future. Though the bigger HDD is probably just a pipedream.

Honourable mentions
iPod Shuffle 2G - saved me taking a bigger iPod so many times, and likely saved the big iPods life :D
3G - beautiful! Shame ours is crapping out now. Firewire broke, its scratched to hell, battery life is horrific.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
iPod 5.5G. IMO it's the best looking of all the big iPods, navigation is quick, sound quality brilliant. Best of all that battery has never died on me unlike my 3G iPod. I can take it out with me for the weekend and never worry about the battery until I get home.

I'd love a 160gb HDD and a fresh battery for when mine start failing in the future. Though the bigger HDD is probably just a pipedream.

Honourable mentions
iPod Shuffle 2G - saved me taking a bigger iPod so many times, and likely saved the big iPods life :D
3G - beautiful! Shame ours is crapping out now. Firewire broke, its scratched to hell, battery life is horrific.

I agree.

iCantwait

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
i have the first 4 iPods (bitches be crazy)
and iThink that THE iPod that made the iPod name was the 4th gen - C'mon perfection (and also the mini at that time)
Yes the 5G is sexy and it was a brilliant product - but that came off the back of the 4th gen and the mini.
iLove my first and fourth gens the most (iPhone 3G is crap:eek:)
iFind excuses to whip out my 5gb of glory at any moment to show off even though i have my iPhone in my other pocket.

SO... i am giving my loving vote to the fourth gen because that is the greatest iPod ever:)

note i was just about to start a "4G iPod is awesome'' thread then i found this:D

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
The Mini was and is the most easily upgraded and repaired iPod to date.

For this reason, itll always get my vote.

For a music player, it cant be beat. Great battery life (easily replaced as the tech gets better). Size can be increased by CompactFlash cards (up to 64GB currently, for the price of an 8GB nano). Solid metal, non reflective, easily cared for.

the Mini will always be MY music player for the forseeable future.

maclover001

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 25, 2008
Vancouver, Canada
I'm putting my vote for the 3G. Although I have never owned one, I love the backlit buttons.

ipod1.jpg

millar876

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2004
Kilmarnock, Scotland UK
I LOVED my 3G iPod, i liked the complete solid state controlls and partial controll backlighting. If they just updated the screen to the Photo one, I'd have been happy. I kept it til the HDD crapped out on me and I had to get a Photo (4G)

iObama

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
5.5G iPod was the best one ever.

It was the last good one they made. Even though it does more stuff, I hate the new software. It's so unlike the classic and simple iPod software that got the world crazed for digital music in their pockets!

Plus, you can't have an iPod without there being an option for a white one. It's sacrilege. I know it's geeky, but when I think of how Apple is trying to screw over the iPod "classic" (what a stupid ****ing name...) it kind of pisses me off.

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
Plus, you can't have an iPod without there being an option for a white one.

I too wish there was still a white option, but then again im not sure that a change that getting rid of the white imacs and soon macbooks was a good idea (aesthetically speaking of course).

There is just something about apple products and the colour white

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.