Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nigelivy

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2009
Newbury, Berkshire, UK
Hi,

I have a 17" Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro with 2gb RAM, 120gb HD, 256mg graphics. I currently work on this machine as a desktop. I have connected an external monitor to the native DVI port that I use as well as the native screen.
I want to run a DVI/VGA cable to my HDTV so as to use my computer as a media center when I'm not working on it. I have tried a Gefen USB to DVI Adapter - this works, but is not fast enough to play video, so is not the otion to connect to the TV and it is too slow to use on my external monitor. I have looked into getting a DVI-I Male to DVI-I Female & VGA Female adapter, but the downside of this is that it sends the same signal to both outputs, which would require both monitors connecting to this device to have the same resolution - which won't work for me.
So here's my question, how can I run 2 external, independent monitors effectively on my Macbook Pro? What is the best solution out there me? If you use 2 external screens, how have you done it?
Thanks for any advice!

Nigel

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
There's this guy, which basically plugs into the ExpressCard slot and gives you a second GPU for connecting two more monitors. According to the manufacturer, they work with versions 2,1 and 4,1 of the MBP. Check your hardware version in System Profiler first.

They're pricey though at $499.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.