The best recording software

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Chewgo, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Chewgo macrumors newbie

I'm just wondering asides from garage band do you guys have any suggestions for affordable recording software?

2. gmjones2001 macrumors newbie

I've been VERY happy with Reaper.

Used it on the Windoze platform, but they do have a Mac version, though it was farther behind in development last time I checked nearly a year ago.

You can download it and use it for free, though they 'ask' for a $50 licensing fee.

Check it out.

3. okrelayer macrumors 6502a

4. Fishrrman macrumors G3

RE: The best recording software

RE:
    "I'm just wondering asides from garage band do you guys have any suggestions for affordable recording software?"

I'd recommend Cubase Essentials (by Steinberg).

The price is about $99 (US).

I have Cubase LE (which is a "bundled" version of Cubase that is included with a number of audio interfaces). Cubase has a learning curve, but is far more powerful than GarageBand and I find it much more intuitive than Logic. Indeed, for editing and moving clips of sound around, I have seen NOTHING yet which equals Cubase for ease-of-use.

Cubase Essentials is roughly the "standalone" equivalent of Cubase LE, but with more features. It is less powerful than the "full version" of Cubase 4 Studio, but still comes quite close in functionality. It _does_ require the use of a USB dongle (included).

- John

5. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

I used Amadeus to digitize my LPs and Tapes. It worked fine for me.

6. bartelby macrumors Core

What do you intend to record?

There are lots of apps aimed at different uses.

7. DRCope macrumors newbie

DRCope

Nasty Garageband experience

I was happy with Cubase LE which came with my firewire interface until Cubase orphaned it in the changeover to Intel processors. Just had a concert recording trashed last night by Garageband. Got repeated "slow disc" error message and the killer was a sudden jump backward in time, causing half an hour out of the middle of the 1.5 hr concert to be overwritten by the last half hour's recording.

I'm disgusted and looking for new software, possibly new hard drive.

8. Chewgo thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you guys very much I got Audacity, someone also recomended ableton but I still have a stereo issue in that when I record vocals they sound doesn't come out the lef speaker, or headset :(