The best rugged case for iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by hdablin, Mar 11, 2013.

1. hdablin macrumors newbie

There are a lot of rugged case discussions on MacRumors, but I couldn't find the comparison / choosing thread. Let's start it.

Macrumors user Hooterville said the following:
    After some reading and searching I agree with that statement. Lifeproof has big sound quality problems, Obex is a piece of low quality materials, Lunatik has a very poor customer service and not waterproof and Otterbox is not always well-made (some users need to return them because of poor manufacturing).

So, the question is: what kind of crap to choose? At the moment I like Lunatik TakTik for its glass screen protector (great feature, why others don't use it?) and Otterbox (it seems, this case has less design flaws than others).

Are there any options with glass (not plastic) screen protection (expect Lunatik)? Is there a flawless rugged case on the market?

P.s. Sorry for my English, I'm not a native speaker.

2. T4R06 macrumors 65816

3. HiRisk macrumors 6502

I'd choose the Otterbox Armor case. It's the most rugged, dust proof, water proof, impact proof, etc. and can be purchased at a AT&T corporate store.

I can't recommend the Incipio Atlas mainly because I haven't tried that case (it's not even out yet).

If I were to put the rugged (water proof, dust proof, impact proof, etc.) cases into tiers, I would put it like this:

1. Otterbox Armor (may be too bulky for some and port covers too tough for some people to remove but otherwise perfect based on my experience)

2. LifeProof Fre (audio/mic issues, plagued by the "oil slick effect" but newer versions are hitting retail stores with supposedly less issues. Very slim and sleek but not as protective as the Armor.)

3. Seidio OBEX (could have been perfect but the mute switch cover is very flimsy and can easily come off the case - very big flaw IMHO. Slim, sleek, and aside from mute switch, design seems similar to the Incipio Atlas which is a combination of the OBEX and LifeProof.).

The Lunatik Taktik case isn't water proof but water resistant so I elected to omit it from the list.

4. Essenar macrumors 6502a

http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-605031-SVFB-Survivor-Case-iPhone/dp/B0099VXLCU

The only rugged case you need.

The Griffin Survivor is 10x the case Otterbox is. Otterbox Defender has been a joke since the iPhone 4. The silicone outer shell gets loose and looks like dead skin hanging over the edge. It gets dust and dirt underneath. The belt clip is a joke.

The Griffin Survivor FEELS better. It always fits snug.

5. Robster3 macrumors 68000

Rubbish. OB defender is great, no loose skin, no dust, screen protector is great. And does not scratch the phone.

6. Hooterville macrumors 6502a

Hooterville

The griffin survivor is the worst POS of the bunch, bar none. :)

7. macMD macrumors 6502

macMD

I have a TakTik case coming but wasn't entirely sure the camera/flash hole issue was corrected on mine or not. So if it isn't then it goes back. Next up I will be looking at the OtterBox Armor which for what they say it can do would be worth it. Its not the cost of a case its the time to get one, test it and if it doesn't work out return it, that part sucks. Plus the lack of choices that are local to you is another issue.

8. kilcher, Mar 13, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2013

kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

I've had Otterbox Defenders for a few years now, always been extremely happy with them. I suspect most of the people having issues unknowingly buy knock-offs from Amazon. I don't do anything rugged, just worry about dropping my phone and don't mind the added bulk. I don't have to have a tough / waterproof case so I'm not williing to compromise call quality.

I tried a Taktik Extreme but was extremely turned off by the price tag ($143 after taxes and shipping), the way the company handled the launch, and their customer service. I also had a huge rainbow slick (about 2/3 of the screen) that was so dark I could clearly see it even with the phone on. I don't mind paying a premium price but I expect PREMIUM service in return. I didn't get it. Decided to return it within an hour of using it.

I then ordered a knockoff aluminum Taktik Extreme from eBay at half the price. Seemed decent but it killed my wifi reception. Sending it back.

Was tempted to buy the Lifeproof when it first came out but read so many negative reviews (particularly in terms of call quality) that I quickly wrote that one off.

Never considered the Griffin Survivor. Not a fan of the look.

Last night I picked up an Otterbox Armor case. Couldn't love it more. My search is finally over. This is everything I've wanted. And I'm happy to be sticking with Otterbox. I posted my review in another thread but I'll repost it here...

9. Jalopybox macrumors 6502a

Jalopybox

There are many many counterfeit otterbox, Belkin, etc cases floating around. Most on Amazon if not bought directly from Amazon(not third party), are fake. Cases that are less than half of full retail on ebay are usually fake.

10. Jason387 macrumors newbie

I think that the Spigen cases are really starting to prove themselves as a cheaper option to the Otterbox while providing the same protection. They also weigh a lot less and are much less bulky.

11. Reeler Suspended

I totally second this but I prefer the tough armor for ruggedness