Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

/V\acpower

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
I've ordered a SR MBP 15'' and i'm still waiting for it to ship. However, having seen some pictures of case distortion of the MBP due apparently to some pressure applied on the unit, i'm thinking of buying a solid sleeve for the MBP that will protect the unit from pressure.

I plan to put it in my backpack, so accident are always a possibility.

I don't care for look or fonctionality apart protection for the MBP itself.

So I ask for the infinite wisdom of the macrumors forum community.

707Gnome

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2007
http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/300/TB0300

havent looked back after buying the horizontal brain cell. very nice protection, since that's what you're after and rather good looking to boot. snug fit, thick padding to keep the mbp safe.

pricey, well kinda, but certainly a must when looking to protect a $2k investment.

you wont be disappointed, do it !!

kman79

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2007
I use a hard sleeve from Axio (http://www.axio-usa.com). It's got a hard ABS plastic shell and a padded inner that holds the MBP pretty snug. I don't worry about my MBP getting crushed inside my messenger bag with three Nursing School books along with it.

iSkin also came out with some new sleeves. I think its called the iSkin SOHO, you could check those out also.

Vegeta-san

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2006
I've actually had mine for over 4 months now and it's stood up very well so far.
Yea but, iBookG4User and Sain, I've actually heard that, counter-intuitevely, those Speck cases actaully SCRATCH your MBP in the long run....Only reason I haven't bought one for mine...Please comment on this and your opinion as I would like to get that...Also, does it add much thickness to the machine?

IntenseKipp

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2006
Tempe, AZ
I use a hard sleeve from Axio (http://www.axio-usa.com). It's got a hard ABS plastic shell and a padded inner that holds the MBP pretty snug. I don't worry about my MBP getting crushed inside my messenger bag with three Nursing School books along with it.

iSkin also came out with some new sleeves. I think its called the iSkin SOHO, you could check those out also.

This looks like a good product. Can you use the computer while the computer is in the case? Anyone else have opinions on this. How is it hauling around in a backpack?

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
Yea but, iBookG4User and Sain, I've actually heard that, counter-intuitevely, those Speck cases actaully SCRATCH your MBP in the long run....Only reason I haven't bought one for mine...Please comment on this and your opinion as I would like to get that...Also, does it add much thickness to the machine?

I haven't had any problems with it scratching my MacBook Pro, just make sure that there is no dirt or stuff that can cause scratches on the Speck Case when you put it on the MacBook Pro. I just got a screen cleaning wipe and cleaned the Speck case off before putting it on my MacBook Pro, it worked fine. And it does not add that much thickness to the MacBook Pro, I didn't even notice the difference when using it.

Maui

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2007
I have one and I like it so far. Cant comment on the long run. But it seems to be whats your looking for.

I see this in the product description:

74-slot ventilation system to minimize thermal insulation

In practice, does this work? Does this case make your MBP hotter? Do the rubber feet raise the MBP appreciably off the table, meaning better air circulation underneath?

Thanks in advance for the info.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA

In practice, does this work? Does this case make your MBP hotter? Do the rubber feet raise the MBP appreciably off the table, meaning better air circulation underneath?

I haven't noticed a heat increase after using the Speck case, when I max out the processor I still get about the same heat level. And with about 30% processor usage the MacBook Pro is only at 118F, which is not hot at all. The rubber feet raise the MacBook Pro about a mm or two off the table/desk.

Wipeout

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2007
Upper Midwest
This looks like a good product. Can you use the computer while the computer is in the case? Anyone else have opinions on this. How is it hauling around in a backpack?

I have an Axio. It is about the most bomb-thing you can get for a MBP. You CAN fold back the lid onto a working surface behind, but access to ports/SD are impeded. I would say it can be used for a quick check, but not anything elaborate.

As for portability, it makes for a larger and heavier form to carry about. It will probably fit in a backpack on it's end. I put it in a medium size Timbuk2 messenger when I fly and the bag just fits under the seat for takeoff.

I bought the Axio for extra protection for times when I don't want to baby my backpack/messenger bag in the city, and for travelling. I would submit that if you buy the Axio, you will probably want a more lightweight sleeve for situations that don't seem to have a high damage probability.

Call Axio, they are really helpful and can tell you about dimensions/weights/etc.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
I have a red Speck case for mine that I bought for about $40 off Newegg. No scratches, not too heavy, not any hotter (feels less hot on my lap actually), and looks cool besides. Got a laptop cooler too just in case, but haven't used it.

dimme

macrumors 68040
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
I have a Axio also and it is bomb proof. If it is hard to find try the dealer in AZ.

/V\acpower

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
I have a question about the speck cases: do they still constrict the display so that you can't move it back as far as it normally goes (which isn't far enough to begin with...)?

Thanks

seans9

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2005
I suggest the speck case. Not only does it help protect against scratches but also keeps your lap cooler.

Maui

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2007
I suggest the speck case. Not only does it help protect against scratches but also keeps your lap cooler.

This is my concern. If your lap is cooler, it means the case is retaining heat -- the MBP is not generating any less heat, and it has to go somewhere. I'm close to buying a speck case, but the heat issue concerns me a bit.

sain

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2007

It doesn't increase the MBP temp. My MBP tempt would be 140 with photoshop/illustrator/internet going, no case. Its the same with the speck case doesn't go above 140 usually hovers a little bit below.. Right now its at 133 burning a DVD. It doesn't make the mac book run any hotter. The little rubebr feet do work it keeps the macbook from sliding around. Also elevates the bottom just a tiny bit which i guess helps with air flow.

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
I have a clear Speck See Thru AND a Pelican case 1490. I haven't tried it yet, but now, I'm supposed to be able to drive over my laptop (provided it's in its Peli case) or submerge it.
(:)apple:))

verity

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2007
I was wondering if anyone uses the Booq case? IF so, what do they think of it, I was thinking of getting something like this for my future mbp, when I finally purchase one of those too.
I bought it last year for my (then) new MBP. Did not work out for me at all. The case was too spacious inside, I could feel and hear my laptop sliding around in it inside my backpack. It doesn't have a lot of soft padding inside unless they redesigned it since then (doesn't look like it). Overall it felt like the case is made for a thicker laptop or a 1-and-a-half MBP mutant.

Spoony Bard

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2007
I was wondering if anyone uses the Booq case? IF so, what do they think of it, I was thinking of getting something like this for my future mbp, when I finally purchase one of those too.

Link: http://booqbags.com/s.nl/it.A/id.74/.f?sc=19&category=-119

Aye, I've got a Booq Vyper M2. Unfortunately I've stopped using it. I find it much too thin to be of any meaningful protection, except against scratches. I carry my MBP in my backpack, so I had to pick up something tougher: http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/300/TB0390

The Vyper may be sufficient if you carry your MBP with nothing else solid, but even then... I suggest you find something more sturdy. It definitely won't protect your laptop from heavy bumps or drops.

kman79

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2007

I've been using this for over a month now, and like another use said, it's probably the most bomb-proof case u can get. You can use the MBP while in its case, but you won't have access to the ports.

I have Chromebag Messenger bag, the second to the largest one they offer, and the case fits fine along with three heavy nursing books and it's kept my MBP from being crushed by the weight of it all. It does add bulk to the MBP, but I have yet to find a case that can protect it as well as the Axio case does.

Its not that I'm hard and treat my MBP harshly, but considering how much I lug around every day, I needed the most protection I can get.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.