The best the iPad 2 has to offer

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kingping14, Aug 8, 2011.

1. kingping14 macrumors member

say if you have to choose a handful of apps for the iPad, the very best iOS has to offer to impress someone, what would they be?

2. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

A friend of mine just got the Galaxy Tav 10.1.... and we were comparing it side by side with my iPad 2.

To be honest, its a great device, but he was blown away by some of the apps on the ipad 2.

Garageband
    DJay
    iMovie
    Snapseed
    Starwalk
    Dead Space 2

These are a few examples of amazing apps, that other platforms (so far) can't compete with.

3. HengenJL macrumors 6502a

HengenJL

+1 for Garageband
    also something like Infinity Blade just to see how powerful the iPad 2 is when it comes down to gaming.

4. ChristianJapan macrumors 68040

ChristianJapan

+1 to GarageBand and Infinity Blade.

I also got impressed with X-Plane

5. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

The Daily
    Flipboard
    Editions
    iMovie
    GarageBand
    Wired magazine
    Groove Coaster
    Cut the Rope HD

My favorites

6. BruiserBear macrumors 6502a

7. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I'd definitely include Garageband and DJay. And I'm not much of a musician...

There is little doubt in my mind that it is the quality of the Apps that makes the iPad "magical."

Its worth remembering that developers have only really been working with the iPad for about eighteen months or so. That the possibilities opened up by a big, multi-touch device with location and orientation sensors have only just begun to be explored. I remember the early days of the PC, and how people thought that Visicalc and Wordstar were just amazing. And nobody ever imagined we'd one day be playing multiplayer first-person shooter games with players located in Australia and Singapore.

I read a lot of comments about how various iPad competitors show video files, or Flash animations, or browse the web, and I think "meh.." Not that those capabilities aren't useful. Its just that I can already browse the web and watch Flash on my PC. Just making them more portable doesn't do much for me.

By creating a market for high-quality Apps, one where developers can invest the time and resources confident that they'll be fairly rewarded for their efforts, Apple has created a "component" that no other competitor can match.

8. walie macrumors 6502a

9. hipnotizer macrumors regular

10. sehnsucht77 macrumors 6502

personally, meh=garageband on the ipad2. recording with quality converters is a must for recording music work so your recording is only as good as the hardware you are working with, really. DJay and Garageband on the Ipad is more a novelty aimed primarily at folks who don't do music work and could care less about the monitoring and recording quality. moreover, you'd be hard pressed to see someone doing music work -DJing, production or recording -to actually be using the IPad as is without outboard gear. when i saw the ipad guitar-thing on there i thought, "seriously?"

11. karilynn macrumors regular

karilynn

I just got my iPad 2 this morning, but so far I am loving the following apps:

:apple:Flipboard (so cool!)
    :apple:iA Writer (a very simple text editor that has an old fashioned typewriter look to it)
    :apple:Netflix - self explanatory!
    :apple:AudioGalaxy (access your music library from home anywhere over wifi/3G on your ipad)
    :apple:Angry Birds - so fun!

12. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

FlipBoard, definitely.

Mark bittman's How to Cook Everything is pretty cool. I bought it then forgot about it, but made a recipe from it the other night. The food was great, and nice app. When it gives you a time, tapping the time brings up a timer, and you can have multiple ones running. And each recipe links to instructions for techniques used in the recipe (including a lot of pretty basic things, so good for a beginning cook). It can also make a grocery list for you based on your chosen recipes.

Notes Plus - although reviews say the latest version is broken? I haven't checked mine. Normally an excellent app, though, due to get a major upgrade in the next couple of weeks.

13. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I have the humble iPad 1, but I really love:

-GarageBand
    -VinylLove
    -Pulse
    -Netflix
    -iBooks
    -Plants vs. Zombies
    -Infinity Field
    -Qvoid

iOS has, hands down, the best selection of apps of all mobile OSs.

14. melman101 macrumors 68030

Actually, I like

- Plants vs. Zombies
    - Simcity Deluxe
    - Mail (native app)
    - Safari (native app)

and iOS 5 is completely awesome.

15. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

Football Manager 2011
    Flipboard
    BBC iPlayer
    4oD Catchup
    Sky Go
    Sky News
    Red Bulletin
    Pages & Keynote
    Plex
    Splashtop
    FIFA 11
    Real Racing 2 HD
    TuneIn Radio

16. Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

You think GarageBand is a novelty? Seriously? If you cant see the value in a mobile 8 track recorder that gives you access to loops, Virtual instruments, among many other things, I don't think I can take you seriously.
    Are you a musician?

GarageBand on the iPad is a life saver. Having the ability to lay down some tracks whenever one is inspired wherever you are is simply HUGE!

What else provides that for $4.99?

Novelty? Meh.

17. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Thanks for mentioning that. I've used his cookbook for years. Didn't even think to check to see if there was an associated app.

Here's another off-beat choice. Art Authority contains more than 40,000 works of art by more than 1000 artists organized into categories and time periods. Slide shows are gorgeous and each painting/sculpture can be saved as wallpaper.

18. CuppyCake macrumors member

CuppyCake

Words with Friends
    MySketch
    HBOgo
    Zinio (magazine app)
    Penultimate (writing app)
    Textfee iPad
    Maps

19. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Safari, mail, beejive, messages! LOL