The best thing I think will be in iOS 5

Discussion in 'iPad' started by newdeal, Feb 27, 2011.

1. newdeal macrumors 68020

Ok, you heard it here first. iOS 5 will have widgets on the ipad that are visible like dashboard and then you use a multifinger gesture to get to the launchpad where all your apps are just like in Lion

2. Dorkington macrumors 6502a

I'd really like it if they could be installed on the homescreen too. Like you can be in an app, and do a gesture and they overlay, or you can go to the homescreen and they'll be available there too...

Either way, I hope you're right. It'd be great to have the *option* of quick access to information for certain things (mail widget, rss feed widget, weather, twitter, facebook, etc as examples).

Notifications also need to badly be updated. I think thats actually the single most important feature in my book. Right now you can get one notification at a time, and when that notification pops up, it deletes all others... thats not good.

I'd really like to see some expansion of multi tasking. Allowing more applications more access for background tasks. Though, I'm a fan of save state process for many apps (keeping a game running, but paused in the background seems like a waste, so in that case, save state is way better).

3. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

I want to see a real filesystem with ability to download stuff directly onto the ipad like I do with my Android phone and galaxy tab. I shouldn't have to connect a netbook replacement to itunes to transfer stuff. Safari needs to be overhauled as well,it sucks compared to Android web browsers and needs extension support.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Try File Browser. It can wirelessly transfer files between an iPad and network computers.

5. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

Oh my god, your prediction is like, exactly the thing LEAST likely to show up on iOS5.

6. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

Yes there are apps that will do it, but it's a work around for a problem that shouldn't even be there in the first place! I don't remember the last time I had to connect my Evo to my MBP, I can do everything right on my phone. I download stuff at work all the time and I can put organize my files into folders etc. And if I DO connect the iPad to a computer I need to be able to access the file system to drag and drop stuff to/from it. I don't understand why Apple can't give us that option especially since it was present on my old iPod and I could use it as a USB drive! They can still have iTunes sync for people who lack the mental capacity to master the art of drag and drop, and I will be able to transfer stuff to/from the iPad easily.

7. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

I hope they will add user accounts for the iPad (so more people in a home, plus guests, can use it without screwing up your own settings).

8. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    +1

Or if not true multiple user, then phones and tablets need at least a child safety mode that they can easily be put into, where:

• The icons are locked (can't be moved or deleted),
    • In-app purchases are turned off if wished,
    • Only a subset (perhaps a Kid's Directory) of apps are shown.
    • Notifications are not shown.

9. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

I've gone a month before w/out plugging my iPhone or iPad into my MBP. I just sync everything with dropbox. I see no need for a filesystem in iOS at the moment.

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Agreed. I sync my iPad every day because I'm anal about backups, but otherwise, between MobileMe, Dropbox, Air Video and File Browser, I could use the iPad without ever syncing with my computer.

Should these functions be built into the OS? Maybe. But iOS is stil a young platform, and it needs time to grow. Many of the functions we take for granted in modern desktop OS also used to be done by third-party utilities once upon a time. In the meanwhile, I'm not too concerned how and where I get these functions, as long as they are there!

11. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

The thing about a file system is that even if u put one in, there has to be a higherarchy there. Like a desktop you have the filesystem but above that you have the apps,utilities,etc in witch the files in the file system are implemented. So if they do a file system there would have to be a gigantic reapmp of the os. As for widgets I don't care that much it would be awesome to have but unless the screen is bigger I dont see myself using it on an iPhone (I like the current screen size). It should be an option, but as for the iPad it has a very big potential. And last as for notifications, I like the current one. The interruptions are annoying but after having every single iPhone since it came out I'm used to it.

12. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

ios5 will bring mobileme cloud storage to everyone and it will be built in to the OS but you will have to pay for it on a subscription basis

there i said it. feels good man.

but we (probably not even us) won't get it till june

13. darngooddesign macrumors G3

All widgets do is use up valuable screen space that could be used for app icons/folders. I would much rather something akin to Lockscreen Info (Jailbroken).

14. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

I don't think that people are asking for a file system in that manner. I think people want a central dumping growing that can be shared among all apps. So if I download a PDF, that same PDF is accessible by everything.

So all in all, a small revamp. Just implementing an API to allow a common area for all apps to read/write to.

15. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

A single directory that all progams can access is all that would be required. A Goodreader or Dropbox style app built in to the OS to organize it all would be nice. In no way would it require a complete redesign of the OS. Currenty, iOS already has a filesystem but users cannot look at it, and software is 'sandboxed' into its own directory.

I find your acceptance of the notification system on the basis of its perpetuity throughout iOS's life ridiculous, too. My RAZR had better notifications ;)

16. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

I hope that gestures make their way into iOS5. While not a major feature, if implemented properly, it could have a huge affect on how people navigate around the iPad.

There are a number of tap sequences to do simple operations (switching between pages/tabs in Safari for example) that could benefit greatly from gestures.

17. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Widgets are put on the screen by the user, just the same as apps or folders or empty spots.

Apple has proposed location dependent homescreens in patent filings before (even though other systems can already do this). I think that whatever they do, they'll make it as dumb simple as possible... which will make some people happy and others frustrated. The usual Apple M.O. :)

Personally, I'm super disappointed in Apple's lack of real UI innovation. I have seen a cool project where a phone automatically learns your daily activities and locations, so it soon begins to do things like automatically propose nearby restaurants with openings just before lunchtime, based on your previous history of movement and food preferences.

This is what I see phones evolving into: intelligent, personalized assistants. A grid of static icons is not going to get us there.

18. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Now please don't take this the wrong way, but why does anything think we'll see anything dramatic from Apple.

I could use the phrase "lack of imagination" but that seems a bit harsh.

Seeing supposed WOW upgrades in OS X like scroll bars that disappear or being able to stretch a window from any side, If that's the extent of their imagination, I cannot believe we're going to have any OMG moments when viewing any iOS updates.

I would love to be wrong of course.

19. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

Tech blogs have been imagining this ever since Apple acquired Siri, but we have yet to see it implemented. I hope they have this too..

20. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea