The best updates yet to come to iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Kayan, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Kayan macrumors 6502

What important things are left to improve the iMac? Retina display, all solid-state, etc... Also list when you think the update will come to the iMac.

I'm in a position to get an iMac of my choice for free now or later. I don't NEED it as my 2009 MBPro is still rockin. Basically, I'm deciding if you think there is a big update coming to iMac next year, since the update this year was relatively minor IMO. If there are some serious things that people were surprised they didn't see in the update this year, perhaps I'll wait to get my iMac.

2. AaronM5670, Oct 5, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2013

AaronM5670 macrumors 6502

AaronM5670

If you need a new Mac, buy one. If you're happy with what you've got then wait. I'll be perfectly happy with my 2013 27" for the next 5 years or so because I'm upgrading from an 8 year old PC that can barely browse the internet, and I've been waiting for 4 years or so. It'll last me until I go to uni and need something better.

3. tomnavratil macrumors 6502a

tomnavratil

This is more a wish list rather than possible future upgrades but hoping to see some soon:
    • SSD as a standard drive
    • Thunderbolt display input (for example for gaming consoles)
    • Easily user-accesible parts - RAM, SSD, PCI-E etc.
    • Thunderbolt 2

Just a small little things, which might appear on our iMacs soon hopefully! :)

4. mrmarts, Oct 5, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2013

mrmarts macrumors 65816

This thread is infinite as the best updates are always coming to Macs. A computer is used to serve a purpose for each his own I say. That said ask yourself do you need a computer now?, and what am I going to use it for? if you answered yes to the first question buy now and update the things you need. Than sit back enjoy your new IMac and wait for the most updates to come. Remember Apple's events only come once year and they love to a) surprise or b) disappoint can you stomach if the 2014 model does not come with retina display, would this mean you would another.

5. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

I'm guessing this Imac will be good for at least 2 more years (except for upgrades) then I think we will see some type hybrid Imac/Tablet (where you can remove screen and use as giant tablet around the house)

6. TrollToddington macrumors 6502

I'd say, this year's iMac with BTO 256GB SSD (or larger) will easily go through the next 5 years. If I had to get a new mac right now I'd get the base 21.5" as it is, 8GB RAM, Iris Pro graphics) with SSD.

I think we should wait for at least 2 years more before iMacs have SSD installed as standard, but since you can upgrade even the base model with SSD at order time fow (relatively) low price I think those who are waiting for SSD-standard configurations are waisting their time.

7. jg321 macrumors 6502

I agree with this, so much so, I've just bought this configuration, and am wanting at least 5 years. This is for basic use, with the odd bit of sound editing and maybe a Handbrake encode every now and again. Can't see this being a problem, as my 2011 13" MBP is fine for this.

8. Insar macrumors newbie

I assume.
    Retina will be offered as an option on the high price.
    Thunderbolt 2

Update iMac 2013 very good. Fastest SSD, wifi, Hanswell, the graphics chip

9. Davnet75 macrumors newbie

I've seen the road map of intel CPU, and we'll not see real upgrade until 2015 or 2016.
    Opposite, the next year we'll see a good upgrade on the GPU by Nvidia and Amd too.
    Maybe the next year you could buy the SSD drive at a better price. Maybe we'll see thunderbolt 2 inside.
    I think the real upgrade will be only for the next top GPU.
    I think you need consoder another thing: 4K. When Apple will show 4k imac (2/3 years), all the performance will decrees, because it needs a lot of power expecially by the GPU. So, the first release of 4k imac will have not wonderfull performance, expecially in the graphic applications (Games...). In this case you'll need to want others couple of time... So buy your new imac when you'll need it but 2013 or 2014 models could be a good choice, expecially with top specs (i7, 780, SSD or fusion).
    I'm sorry for my English.