The best utilities?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by absolut_mac, Jun 19, 2009.

1. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

I finally got around to dumping my PC and bought a new Mac Mini last week, so now I'm one very happy camper.

Now the big question for me is - which utilities do I need to keep it in good shape?

Utility suits like Cocktail, Onyx or Macaroni - which one is the best of the bunch?

Do I even need something like Disk Warrior and Drive Genius, or do the above utilities, or even the Mac's own Disk Utility, take care of keeping the hard drive in good condition?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Onyx is pretty standard, but for the most part, you won't need anything more than Disk Utility

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Yup. Onyx is free, but OSX does a lot by itself, and don't need any user maintenance for most users.

These are pretty much the only things needed:
    Repair permissions after major updates.
    Verify disk if lost power or on hard reboot.

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Disk Warrior or Data Rescue2 can come in handy if you have big HD issues. Disk Utility lacks in their power. I don't use Onyx or other apps like it as I don't personally find them necessary. Another thing you won't need to worry about is running a disk defragmentor as it's all handled by the OS.

5. absolut_mac thread starter macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

Thanks

Thanks for the replies.

So the cheapest one is the also the best. No surprises there I guess!