The best way to clean iMac screen

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Kenzembo1, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Kenzembo1 macrumors 6502

Hi, I have a 20 inch aluminum iMac that I purchased back in August and the screen is getting a bit dirty (collecting dust and fingerprints, etc.). My question is: What's the best way to clean the screen? What methods do you, the MacRumors community use to keep your iMac's looking new? Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

2. Arcadie macrumors regular

get those microfiber cloths from sams or costco. They ensure you wont scratch the screena nd work wonders.

3. TheAngusBurger macrumors member

To be honest, I just use the cloth that came with my iMac in the 'Everything Else' box. Does the job for me.

4. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

5. panatha macrumors member

panatha

Go to an electronic shop and ask for a microfiber cloth and special spray. ive got a product that i paid $80 for but its fantastic.!!!

6. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

7. armoguy94 macrumors 6502

I can't justify paying money for something that I got right out of the box. The apple cloth works fine.

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

That and plain water seems to work really fine.

Just get the cloth damp on a corner and leave dry on the other side for those water spots that sometimes get left behind.

9. pjashley1 macrumors member

+1

An ever-so-slightly damp Apple cloth is all you need. And it's glass so you can press down quite hard!

10. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

It tells you in your iMac instructions how to clean the screen. Use the cloth.

11. Seramir macrumors member

Seramir

For the display use a small amount of deionized water with the Apple cloth that came with the computer. I found that if you use too much water you'll be creating huge smudges and smears that are very timely and annoying to take out.

Just whatever you do though, try not to take the glass off. I was super cautious while doing it on mine since it had bits of dust stuck under it, but worse became worse as I suddenly in the process created a stuck red pixel and what appears to be a gray pixel that is permanently out. Wasn't even rubbing that hard and I was using quality microfiber cloths. :confused:

12. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

Eh guys I have a question is the iMac screen real glass or kind of plastic one ?

13. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

I've used Windex before (not sprayed directly onto screen) and it worked great. I have also used iKlear and that works great too. Make sure to wipe with a microfiber cloth.

14. Yamcha macrumors 68000

I would use the cloth that it comes with and use Windex, since its real glass so should work very well :]