the best way to make the transfer

Discussion in 'macOS' started by zoran, Dec 9, 2010.

1. zoran macrumors 68030

There is a TM backup from my Powerbook dated from Jan 2009 till today and there is an iMac that is new.
    I want to be working solely on the iMac so i must transfer all my files from Powerbook to the iMac + the all the files that are in the PowerBooks TM backup too.

What would be the best way to do so? Plz tell me you opinion on this file transfer. :eek:

2. Scuby macrumors regular

On your new iMac, go to Applications and then Utilities, and use Migration Assistant. Not had to use it in anger yet, but seems to be easy to just pick out whatever bits you want from your TimeMachine backup - but obviously worth reading the detail on how it works and make sure it'll do everything you need before you do anything irreversible.

3. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

by some strange reason it cannot locate the TMbackup disk, are there other ways through TM perhaps to transfer all of the backup to one folder on my iMac?

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Best way, if you bought the new one at an Apple Store; let them do it for free.

5. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

thanx for the contribution but that solution is an absolute "no no" :D, i want to to do it by my self

6. mstrze macrumors 68000

This may be a stupid question...but you say the iMac can't locate the TM Backup disc. You do have the drive connected to your iMac...correct?

7. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

not a stupid question not at all, and yes extHD is connected to my iMac

8. mstrze macrumors 68000

Have you tried to connect it to a different port? Maybe one of your USB ports is bad?

9. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

btw can i have the ext hd connected to both macs in joliet mode so i can use it simultaneously by both macs?

10. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

im using FW800

11. mstrze macrumors 68000

Does the iMac have 2 FW ports? Try the other.

I don't believe you can hook up a drive to 2 computers at the same time.

12. simsaladimbamba

No. Btw, what is "joliet mode"? I only know "Joliet" as an extension to the ISO 9660 file system for optical disc media, made by Microsoft.

13. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

damn i made a mistake, what i meant was "daisy chain" sorry for the mixup :eek:

14. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

You'll need to disconnect the drive from the other computer.

The second port of the hard drive is indeed used to daisy chain more devices, but you can still only have one host (computer). It's used for connecting another hard drive or some other firewire device (optical drive, scanner, camera etc...) to the computer.

15. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

ok so lets make a sum up of what i must do in steps...

1. connect with a FW cable the two macs and use migration assistant to make the transfer of the PowerBook to the iMac

2. then connect the TM external drive to my iMac via FW and use MAssistant to transfer of all the stuff that are stored in the TMbackup (can i transfer all the files from every day that is it backed up?)

am i right? have i missed anything?

16. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

ok i used migration assistant, and i transfered the Powerbook accounts to my iMac but now.. how do i transfer the files i want from those accounts?

17. simsaladimbamba

If you copied the entire account(s), the data (files and folders) will be copied too. Or are they missing?

18. zoran, Dec 11, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2010

zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

they are all there, but they are in a different account (the copied account), how can i move them to the account i have in my iMac in the first place?
    its ok, i figured that out...

i want to also ask, how can i copy all the files that are in the TM backup on my iMac, from the first day until today? i belive Migration assistant only appears the latest files that have ben backed up