the best web-browser

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by giladavni, Mar 1, 2011.

?

what is the best web-browser for mac ?

1. Safari

36 vote(s)
    37.9%
  2. Google Chrome

34 vote(s)
    35.8%
  3. Firefox

23 vote(s)
    24.2%
  4. Opera

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  5. Camino

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  1. giladavni, Mar 1, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2011

giladavni macrumors member

giladavni

please explain why in the replay.

Attached Files:

2. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

Surely it's down to what best suits you. I just stick to with Safari on Mac and IE8/9 on Windows because they're already there for me and do what I need it to do which is simple web browsing. :) And none of them have given me any problems to switch to a different browser :)

3. rickyalan macrumors newbie

I use Chrome more recently than firefox, because firefox because slower and slower with new versions.
    Safari is also good but not as convenient as Chrome.

Opera gets problems with some websites.

4. Shaneuk macrumors regular

Shaneuk

Chrome. It's simple. Quick and you get the most screen. (If that makes sense)

5. HacKage macrumors regular

I was a Firefox user for the last few years until the latest version was running like a cow on my machine. I have an i7 quad iMac, that when Firefox was open for half an hour, memory usage would be well over 1GB, and the CPU usage would jump from 25-100% constantly. Switched to Safari and it seems to work now. I'd love to go back to Firefox, but not while it is broken.

6. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

99% or more of my browsing is done with Firefox - I've gotten used to the extensions and some convenient features in how it works.

I have Safari and Chrome on my dock, but I only ever use Safari if Firefox has trouble properly rendering a site. I'm not a fan of Chrome at all, it's my third-stringer.

7. camelsnot macrumors 6502

camelsnot

chrome.. quick and dirty. You can also do things like drag out a tab into its own window and such. I can also sync my chrome bookmarks to my account and phone.

Safari is old dated software that Apple has forsaken due to iStuff focus. Chrome 10 beta is killer too.

8. TreoRenegade macrumors regular

My default app = Choosy. ( http://www.choosyosx.com )

I love FireFox, but the dang thing gets ridiculously slow at times, despite my frequent clicks of the Clear Cache (addon) button. Chrome is speedy, but I loathe the way it handles bookmarks, which forces excessive clicking (even with a helpful extension). I rarely use Safari, since its implementation of AdBlock leaves much to be desired. So, I tend to bounce back and forth among FF, Chrome and OmniWeb. Fortunately, I discovered Choosy, which has emerged as my most frequently used app, bar none. Example: when I'm in Reeder and click a link, Choosy pops up immediately with a horizontal icon bar/list of my preferred browsers, so I can click quick and be on my way. Same thing re every other app with a live link. I set up a few default rules within Choosy, so a certain app will always open a certain browser.

Choosy allowed me to remove all browsers from my dock, and the app itself auto pops-up so it's not in the dock. (NuKit's Launcher & ShortCuts empower me to no-fuss access a browser when no link is involved.) In short, it makes all things link-related on my Mac super simple. Best $12 I've spent in quite some time.

Not related to any of the devs. I just appreciate inherently intelligent & powerful apps!

9. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

I can do these things with Safari, too.

For me, Safari is there, easy to use and has never given me any problems to speak of.

10. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

My preferences have changed with the browsers. For the early 2000's, I used Firefox because it offered the customization. When I grew tired of that (and the various bugs or slowdowns I began to experience because of it), I switched to Safari, which was quick and efficient. That lasted until last year, when Safari began to run very slowly for me. When I was unable to discover a solution, I switched to Chrome, and have been running it for some time now. I prefer it so far in most ways, though I miss things about Safari (the general Mac-like feel, mostly).

jW

11. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Most browsers have this option including FireFox.

12. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

I can't stand Safari or Firefox. Firefox feels like it weighs a thousand pounds, and Safari's lack of an integrated URL/search bar makes it feel dated.

Chrome, on the other hand, is extremely quick and reliable. Haven't had a reason to switch to anything else. :) Not to mention Safari's "Top Sites" feels like a bit of a gimmick, I prefer Chrome's simple "Top Visited" page.

13. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

What version of Safari are YOU using? :confused:

I mean, there it is, right there, and all.

Attached Files:

14. Andronicus macrumors 6502a

You know the old, dated, forsaken safari can do this too right?? :rolleyes:

15. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

He means the URL and Search bars becoming one, like in other browsers..

16. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

That explains why every time I try to navigate to a site in Chrome it searches instead. What a piece of crap. :rolleyes:

17. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

I'm currently on Firefox on both OSX and Windows, but I'm thinking about making the transition to something else. Just need to determine if I can get the same functionality from extensions.

18. Kauai macrumors 6502a

I use Firefox but that's not fair. If you know the URL and put a .com it will go directly to the site and if you don't it will search, I actually like the way Chrome does it. If you don't put a .com in any of the other browsers it will just not go or error.

19. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I've been using firefox for god knows how long, but lately it just feels like an elephant. Switched over to safari and I've been using it for the past few days.

If that doesn't work out I might try chrome.

20. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I don't have to put a .com after it in Firefox - I just type Cmd-enter for .com, Shift-enter for .net, and Cmd-Shift-enter for .org.

I have to type about twice as many characters in Chrome (www.amazon.com) as I do in Firefox (amazon cmd-enter) to visit a website. Searching in Firefox is just as easy, I just use Cmd-K to search as opposed to Cmd-L for the URL box.

21. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I have a strong dislike for Chrome, but at least I know how to type a URL. Chrome only searches if you don't put in a URL.

22. Enders macrumors newbie

23. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Thanks for that, I've had the same problem when using "unusual" URLs such as "webmarshal.home". Instead of going to the page, Chrome tries to search for it. I've now figured out that I need to type "webmarshal.home/" in Chrome.

24. slu macrumors 68000

slu

This is my exact opinion and setup. Literally the exact same. It is almost if I typed this.

25. Hastings101 macrumors 68000

Hastings101

Safari, because it's the only one, in my experience, that flash and java work perfectly under on the mac. Otherwise I would have voted Firefox, it's much more reliable than Safari, but can't really use it if most of the websites I commonly use won't function properly.