The better graphics processor to learn Logic Pro 9 with?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Murgatroyd, May 6, 2013.

1. Murgatroyd macrumors member

Murgatroyd

I presently have Logic Pro 9 on a mid-2010 13" MacBook. Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB. I've just begun delving into Logic Pro 9. Ten, fifteen months from now I want to know Logic Pro like the back of my hand.

I'm focusing on a new Mac Mini, with its Intel HD 4000 graphics card as the machine I will further immerse my learning of Logic Pro 9 with. My concern is, in the future, I will be delving into some unknown thing in LP that the Mini's graphic card isn't capable of fully exploiting.

The base model iMac's have a different processor. I presently have an external Samsung SyncMaster PX2370 display with the MacBook. I really don't need another display. But if the graphics of an iMac is "better" able to function more capacity within LP 9, I'd consider purchasing an iMac.

And then there is a refurbished Mac Pro. But a graphic card on a Mac Pro is from the year 2010. Is the graphic card on the Mac Pro as capable, or more capable to enable all that I may encounter while learning LP 9 as the Mac Mini's Intel HD 4000 card? A Mac Mini I'm considering will be factory shipped, with 16 GB, a 256 GB SSD, and the LaCie 1TB 3 USB/Thunderbolt external, all for a little over $2000. A refurbished Mac Pro is $1900, and has me thinking of spending another $1000 over the course of time to configure things.

I'm inclined towards the Mac Mini. I want the better graphics card though, to bring out LP 9 capacity with whatever I may find and encounter while learning in the future.

Why the graphics card on the Mac Mini would be sub par compared to another model's graphic card would give me pause for thought. As my thoughts are now, the Mac Mini will be the winner. :cool:

Thoughts on this are welcomed.

2. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

Logic Pro is a music app. Does it use the GPU at all? If so, does it use it for real processing or just to display nice UI stuff? Do you have other applications that will be using the GPS (Photoshop, gaming, etc)?

3. Murgatroyd thread starter macrumors member

Murgatroyd

Sorry, Bob. Wrong number. <click>:p

4. calaverasgrande macrumors 65816

calaverasgrande

If it is any help I have never had an issue with my 1st gen Intel Mac mini running Logic 8. That computer uses the Intel 945M chip for video, which is barely capable of playing Diablo II.
    I'd think that most reasonable video solutions, even the Intel HD4000, would be adequate barring any glaring incompatibilities. I would focus more on getting the heaviest CPU for your dollar. In the box production seems to work better with higher clock speeds over deeper cache and wider parallel processing. A lot of plug ins and 3rd party apps still aren't multiprocessor or multithread enabled. Pretty annoying.
    I'd rather have a 3.2ghz cpu with 4 cores than 2.4 ghz cpu with 6.
    If you are getting into sample based production you will want as much ram as possible. Though 32gb or even 16gb should be plenty.
    Then of course it goes without saying you need to have a fast (7200RPM minimum) dedicated hard drive to store teh music projects to, this needs to be separate from the OS and programs. Fusion drive is not adequate.