iPad The bezel on the Air 2 feels fairly sharp.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ozshadow, Oct 27, 2014.

1. ozshadow macrumors regular

I like everything about it except that. Since my OB Reflex case is no longer made I will have to find something similar for this one

It tends to cut right into the crease at the heel of my hand.

2. Angler, Oct 27, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2014

Angler macrumors regular

I agree, hope they round the edges like the iPhone 6 next year. Would feel much better in the hand.

3. puma1552 macrumors 601

wouldnt be an apple product release without complaints about sharp edges cutting into dainty hands or wrists:rolleyes:

4. cannono macrumors regular

I'm all for that idea. The iPhone 6 is an amazing channeling of the first iPhone design but makes the curved edge glass look so incredible.

5. Golfer00ksu macrumors regular

I completley agree. My 6 feels better/thinner in hand because of this.

6. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

The 6/6+ feel so good on hands. I guess the iPad will receive an iPhone 6 facelift next year.

7. addictzz macrumors 6502

Looks like I am the odd one here. I don't like curvy edges of iPhone 6/6+. It reminds me of iphone 3GS and it's a step back in design for me. The blocky chamfered edges still wins hands down.

8. cannono macrumors regular

Nah, it has been rendered dated by 6. In person, 6 looks way sleeker. Like a Star Trek phone. if I got to vote on the next design, no way I'd let go of the glass curve.

9. awests macrumors regular

Apple's reason for making the iPhone 6 have a seamless curved edge was that it would be easier to hold with one hand. This makes sense if your fingers wrap around the entire phone (or least most of it), giving a better grip in the phone in one hand.

But with the iPad, the curved edges doesn't make sense from that point of view. When holding my iPad in one hand, the curve, the chamfered edge, and the flat glass that it has all work together to make my hand act like a clamp around that one side of the iPad.

Now imagine if it had the same design as the iPhone 6. The glass would now seamlessly integrate with the rear shell causing less of an ability to grip the iPad in one hand. Apple certainly doesn't want this.

But I'm not sure if Apple will adopt this reasoning, as they may want to align the designs of the iPad and iPhone lines.

10. addictzz macrumors 6502

This. Another good reason why we should keep current design for iPad. I am more particular about design and less about functionality but this is a very good point.

No change in design also means we don't need to wait for new cases everytime new iPad is launched. I think the current Apple products' design are great as they are. I still welcome nice subtle improvement but the overall design as great as it is.

11. awests macrumors regular

I agree. The current design of the iPad is perfect for what it is. If they work on improving this design iteration I feel like they have a real winner.

12. marcosscriven macrumors regular

I had the Air 2 for all of three days, and one of the reasons I swapped it for a mini 2 was the uncomfortable edge. Even though it's much lighter now, because it's still physically a larger area, the leverage means it seems to did in.

Personally I'd prefer a reverse of the situation - hard edges on the iPhone 6 (to aid holding in a camera position), and round edges on the ipads.

13. ozshadow thread starter macrumors regular

I really did not mind the size or weight of my old iPad 2 at all. I have large hands and I kind of miss the additional front space for my thumbs.

What I do love on the Air 2 is the improved screen and internal hardware. So much better.

14. yinz macrumors 6502a

Slippery or sharp iPad? You gotta choose one. You can't have both.

15. Angler macrumors regular

not sure it would be slippery. but i would be willing to take that chance.