The Bezel should have been this thin...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MichaelThomas, Jan 29, 2010.

1. MichaelThomas macrumors member

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Everyone is entitled to their opinion

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. cube macrumors G5

You're wrong. The bezel should be thick as in LG Infinia (or less, given that it's a small screen).

4. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

I think it should have been 1/64" bigger than you've shown, but that's just my opinion. ;)

Look for any photos or videos of people holding the iPad. What you'll notice is that to hold it most will put their thumb on top to leverage their fingers on the back. If the bezel is too thin then that thumb lays on the glass, both obscuring a little bit of the view and leaving a little bit of a thumb-print. I'll bet they have prototypes with very little bezel and about 1/2 the current bezel width. Simple ergonomic studies would demonstrate why the bezel is exactly what it is. My archos 9 also has a wide area on left and right of the screen, but a thin bezel top and bottom. It doesn't have a g-sensor though and isn't intended to be rotated. The wide bezel is only on the sides that needed it for holding.

5. cube macrumors G5

The bezel only serves to hold the iPad with the thumb in an unnatural position.

I don't care that my thumb is on the screen. I want a compact device.

6. dave1812dave macrumors 6502a

I find any and all excuses for the width of the bezel to be bogus. First of all, the only REAL reason it's that large is due to the inclusion of whatever innards are needed to make the thing function (ie electronics and battery). they take up "x" amount of room and that room needed some "breathing room" around the size of the screen picked by Jobs. We all (at least those of us with a brain) KNOW we could hold an item like that without obscuring hardly any image area and if we did, OUR HANDS CAN MOVE AS NECESSARY to uncover what's being blocked. BESIDES, Jobs made it clear there will be docks for this thing, and it can be laid down on a blue-jeans covered lap, or placed in a variety of positions not requiring that one place their hands all over the screen. All of the excuses are missing the point. Apple didn't put "dead air" under the bezel--you can bank on that.

7. cube macrumors G5

Maybe for a HUGE battery. Have you seen the thickness of the Kindles? Yeah, I know the iPad has a 1 GHz CPU.

8. dave1812dave macrumors 6502a

the first teardown, shown on line,will tell the tale.

9. acurafan macrumors 6502a

10. t22design macrumors regular

The bezel is as big as it needs to be to hold the device comfortably.

Pure and simple.

11. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

I guess I agree with you. That leaves your excuse just as bogus, whether you think it's real or not. You should realize that the iPod Touch manages 99% of the same functionality, and does it in a much smaller package. There is nothing inside the iPad that demands the external dimensions. They picked a screen, added a way to hold onto it, then arranged the battery and other components in the available space.

12. t22design macrumors regular

I re-read your post, and I we are in agreement. The iPad requires a bezel.

13. dave1812dave macrumors 6502a

Does that mean you are declaring that under the bezel is just THIN AIR???

14. Alchematron macrumors 65816

Alchematron

Totally agree

Plus should have been silver instead of black!

15. mcnicks macrumors regular

Really? On a multi-touch device?

16. amarcus macrumors 6502

With a bezel that thin... how would you hold the device without accidentally touching the screen?

Adam

17. cjthebest macrumors member

Where are you going to put your fingers when you hold it? Not on the touch screen! And if it has do with a hardware reason, I would much rather have .5 cm more of bezel then have a 5 hour battery.

18. rowanmwilliams macrumors member

rowanmwilliams

I disagree, personally i think the silver aluminum would look odd with the glass over it. The black gives it a nice contrast and keeps it inline with other multi-touch enabled devices. They could provide a white option however?

19. rowanmwilliams macrumors member

rowanmwilliams

Nice inclusion of a camera :p

20. bossxii macrumors 68000

This is where the "magic" is stored :D

You know... rainbows and unicorns!

21. agkm800 macrumors 6502a

agkm800

+1

22. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

Given their video focused on how you can hold it however you want, the camera may have been a problem on the real thing. Or that was Apple's way of saying "F off".

In any case, I actually had to go back to the Apple website to look at the real thing in order to tell if there was a difference. Minimal. IMO, this is just splitting hairs.

23. agkm800 macrumors 6502a

agkm800

There are many shades of silver. I'd prefer an off-white-silver bezel.

24. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Really. You want constant input to the screen? Do you even own an iPhone? I can't imagine you do, because if you did, you would see the idiocy in your statement. If you do own one, then do what you said. Hold your thumb on the screen and then begin using it with the other finger. Slide around the home screens, oh, what, you can't? Yeah, that's because your THUMB is on the screen.

Again, it's not about obscuring anything, it's about whether or not you are inputting a touch signal or not to the device with your thumb. Read the explanation above and if you have a well thought out response, I'd love to hear it, but honestly, I can't imagine you will come up with one.

25. rowanmwilliams macrumors member

rowanmwilliams

Yeah this is true, however, i was basing my opinion on the shade of silver aluminum that is consistent to the rest of the device, which i would assume is the same as the MBP colour?

If it were going to be silver, it would have to remain the same material (if not just colour) as the rest of the device (If it were a different shade again it would look choppy and inconsistent IMO). Therefore when covered with glass it would look less than impressive. If the colour/shade of the aluminum be replicated and done in the same material as the black to achieve the exact same colour would be incredibly hard i would think?

I would love to be proven wrong though. Who wants to jump back in photo shop?