The Bi-Monthly - "when is Blu-Ray coming" thread ;)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by fluidedge, May 20, 2008.

1. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

still waiting Apple...

I only want a Blu-Ray player and the DVD playing software to go with it.

I was wondering the other day is it possible to buy one of those "upscaling" DVD players and put it in a mac pro - I just want to watch *SOMETHING* at full 1080 resolution on my 24" monitor!

What are my options?

2. m1stake macrumors 68000

3. fluidedge thread starter macrumors 65816

fluidedge

4. brand macrumors 601

brand

If you want Blu-ray right now then install Windows. Otherwise we wait.

5. henchosbandito macrumors member

As i look into my crystal ball.....

My prediction:

1. Blu-Ray drives are in the not too distant future
    2. Fistly i think they will be released in MacBook Air style external superdrives for a while. This will also help increase sales for Apple, which can only help their already healthy profit margin.
    3. Eventually, they will become standard drives on iMacs, Mac Pro's and Macbook Pro's within a couple of years
    4. When they get to a similar stage in the product life cycle as the DVD writer drives (maturity) they will become standard on all macbooks (and mac minis if they are still around)

Just had a thought...would you be able to have a Blu-Ray slash DVD rewriter as one drive?? my guess would be not.

6. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

When Apple decides that selling Macs with Blu Ray will make them 1 cent more than the losses of decreased HD content through iTunes:D.

It may just be that Jobs is refusing to accept the HDCP compliance that MS was willing to do with Vista for playback of blu-ray content at HD resolutions. I am hedging my bets on the opensource community or third party software maker bringing blu ray playback to the Mac.

7. big_malk macrumors 6502a

I don't like the idea of having restriction on my content, but if we aren't seeing Blue-Ray due to Jobs not agreeing to HDCP compliance, the current restriction is no content AT ALL!

Super-Duper-Drive with Blue-Ray-RW, DVD-RW, CD-RW (maybe LightScribe? Naah) at WWDC next month? I'd like to see it, dunno if it's likely though.

8. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

upscaling the through a DVD player will look exactly the same as just going to fullscreen mode in DVD player...

Stop making these threads until after WWDC, then you'll have plenty of time to complain until MacWorld if they haven't added it.

9. fluidedge thread starter macrumors 65816

fluidedge

What software on windows plays blu-ray movies?

There is no way in this world i can see the MacBook Air getting a Blu-Ray drive before the Mac Pro. No. Way. In. Hell.

10. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

What does HDCP compliance entail, as far as OS X goes?

Would it mean a substantial rewrite of huge chunks of the OS?

11. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

I have a felling, that yes we will see blue ray drive's soon.

However I think apple will be defiant with the HDCP compliance, set forth by the m.p.a.a. Apple will push the blue ray drives as purely a hd storage medium, for the pro market. To be used for hd movie production.

I just have a hard time seeing apple excepting the hdcp compliance, with open arms.

Also the fact that apple would lose sales from their download itunes movie
    market.

I do believe we will see a blue ray movie viewing option, for mac's in the future. Just not right away.

just my two cents worth

12. big_malk macrumors 6502a

I think it's actually more of a hardware issue than an OS X issue, probably both, but the hardware's the expensive bit for the end user.

I think...
    To play a Blue Ray DVD at full 1080p resolution on a Mac Pro, you'd your BR-drive (obviously) which would support HDCP, then a graphics card, and a display which both supported HDCP. I'm not sure about the logic board needing HDCP.
    If any of these devices didn't support HDCP, the device just before it in the chain would scale the film down to standard DVD quality.

But I could be wrong... corrections?

13. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

Tomorrow.

Wait, some later date.

:)

14. henchosbandito macrumors member

I think you misread. I said they may bring out a drive like they did with MacBook Air and the external DVD drive (as it doesnt come with a built in one) with people being able to use it wirelessly with any mac or through USB

15. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

I don't think the MacBook Air is even capable of it. You need a dedicated video card for decoding it, or else a very powerful CPU (at least, as far as I know?), much like when DVDs first came out and anyone without a DVD-decoder on their video card (or a Bordeaux Personality card in their G3, lol......) could expect choppy playback.

Even in like, 2000, when ATI came out with the Radeon, its superior DVD decoder was hailed as a piece of hardware.. and an important one. Adaptive deinterlacing! Amazing ;)

16. Lord Zedd macrumors 6502a

Lord Zedd

You have fallen for the marketing scam. There is nothing special about "upscaling" DVD players, you do not gain any video quality or resolution with it. It only blows up the picture to fit the screen. A normal DVD player will look exactly the same on a big TV that is changing resolution to fit the video source as upscaling DVD player does changing the source signal to fit the big TV's resolution.

Ever seen a camera with "digital zoom"? Yeah, same concept.
    [​IMG]
    ...........DVD..............................Blu-Ray..............................Upscaled DVD.

Put a DVD in your MacPro and select the "full screen" option in the menu. Yep, that is upscaling.

17. kingkezz macrumors regular

I have a blu-ray burner. I just want software to burn blu-ray video disks. DVD SP????

18. smallfield macrumors member

It doesn't make sense to just have a DVD-R when the BD-R/RW drives are on sale everywhere (even CC/BB retail) and are only $350-500. You buy a premium product and get DVD-R... I just want to be able to rip/encode my BD to see them on my ipod/MBA, is that so bad.

Might as well get a dell, oh, nevermind it runs on Vista.

Hopefully they announce at WWDC.