The BIG 3G question thread

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iamwadey, Jan 15, 2009.

1. iamwadey macrumors newbie

Ok i have been considering buying an iPhone 3G i will buying it from O2 (uk based network). So here we are thanks in advance;
    *for Wifi/GPS questions i do live in the UK

GoogleMaps: Is a internet connection required to use google maps (roadmaps)

GPS: I am not sure about all the different forms of connections, do i have to pay for it? Or is it something similar to Satnav

SimCard: Can i use my existing simcard from O2 and put it into the phone or are iphone ones different in some way.

WIFI: Its says i will be charged for WIFI access is that only for the independent business's wifi, basically no charges for using my home wireless.

Positioning: Is finding out where i am free using whichever option is available.

I may update but i am reading up at the moment.
    Thank you very much.

EDIT: People have been mentioning unlimited internet plan can someone explain and is it available for O2 pay as you go and how much

||Edit 2|| The unlimited usage and wifi; does is the usage meaning when im using 3G?

2. Volka macrumors newbie

I'm on o2 UK Pay & Go.

You do need data access for Google Maps, ideally 3g or wifi.

GPS is free and built into Google Maps, but it isn't as accurate as a proper GPS system as it uses phone mast triangulation instead of satellites.

You can use any 3g-enabled o2 sim card, but it's best to use one with unlimited data (such as the one you get when you buy the iPhone on Pay & Go) otherwise your data costs will be huge.

You only pay for protected wifi such as BT Openzone / The Cloud and similar hotspots. However, free access to both of the above is included in o2's unlimited data & wifi package, which you get free for 12 months with the iPhone Pay & Go sim and costs £10 a month afterwards.

3. Ninja Dom macrumors 6502

Ninja Dom

Hope that helps

4. The General macrumors 601

Yes.

No. You don't have to pay for GPS.

Why does it mattter? Sign the new contract, get the new SIM card, who cares about your old SIM card?

That's for their wifi hotspots, not your wireless at home.

It is free no matter what.

5. iamwadey thread starter macrumors newbie

Pay as you go unlimited internet ? Can you point me a link?

6. Volka macrumors newbie

http://www.o2.co.uk/iphone/paygo

*subject to fair use policy

7. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

It is proper GPS, uses satellites, is as accurate and doesn't cost anything per month to use just like any other GPS device. It uses information from cell towers only to find your exact location which makes it faster than stand-alone GPS units, in fact.

It does download the maps over wifi or your network, however, as they are not stored on the iPhone.

8. iamwadey thread starter macrumors newbie

Right ok just to verify, I get unlimited data (fair usage blah blah) and wifi. So the data usage is meaning anywhere using say 3G?. Sorry im only good on laptops ^.^

9. iamwadey thread starter macrumors newbie

Can anyone verify the difference between '*Unlimited data and Wi-Fi' on the o2 plan

10. Benjay macrumors member

o2 have a wifi hotspot partner called 'the cloud'. Taking up an iphone will allow you free access to the cloud hotspots for 12 months, whenever you're in range; whereas unlimited data refers to the 3G/Edge data that you'll be getting on the move.
    Hope that helps?

11. iamwadey thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks