The Big PB Question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by motherduce, Nov 7, 2005.


Which Laptop Would You Suggest?

Poll closed Nov 10, 2005.
  1. 12" iBook for now, upgrade later.

    14 vote(s)
  2. 12" Powerbook now, add an iMac later for heavier stuff.

    10 vote(s)
  3. Refurb 15" Powerbook

    13 vote(s)
  4. New 15.2" Powerbook

    31 vote(s)
  1. motherduce macrumors 6502

    Oct 3, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I know there are tons of "what should I do" threads out there, but I need some advice as well, and haven't been able to get enough info through other threads.

    My Story:
    I've been wanting a PB for 6 months, waited and waited for updates that finally came last month, but I had been looking at a 12", but with no updates to it, I started looking at the new 15" as well.

    I've got around $2000 to work with, plus or minus a few bucks, but my big concern is getting the most value for my $, with decent resale in a couple years.

    I almost ordered one of the new 15" Powerbooks, but then noticed a few, then more, then a ton of posts on several forums about screen issues, and flickering, etc. I am a web designer/flash/graphics, etc, so this is a HUGE issue for me.

    I've thought about just jumping back and getting a new 12" iBook as well, but I think the bus speed, RAM, Video Card, and other upgrades in the pro books better suits my needs for graphics, video, flash, etc.

    So, based on the graphic below, and the current issues with the new PB screens, what are your thoughts?

    Is it worth the risk of the screen issue and hassle of returns, etc, to get the new PB with the better RAM, Video Card, SD, and resolution?

    The 12" 1024x780 is very small reso for me to work with. I have an external 22" monitor that I'll be using a lot, but when I'm on the road, that's a small screen.

    Anyhow, take a look at my comparison below, I've highlighted the key elements in the new 15" that make it appealing, but it pushes my budget to the limit, and of course, there's the screen issues.

    Any insight you can provide would be wonderful, I've needed this for a couple weeks pretty bad, and have missed out on some contracts due to my lack of portability with my current systems, so I need to make my order ASAP!

    Attached Files:

    • pbs.gif
      File size:
      12.5 KB
  2. Abstract macrumors Penryn


    Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    I'd get the 15" PB. If you live by an Apple Store, even better, because once it has a fault, just take it back to the store immediately.

    And get the new model, not the old one. The new resolution is a good enough reason.
  3. wdlove macrumors P6


    Oct 20, 2002
    I would also recommend the 15" PowerBook. Extra RAM and AppleCare are very important. You will notice an improvement with getting 1 GB. My preference would be the new, but if money is an issue then a refurb would work very well also.
  4. aquajet macrumors 68020

    Feb 12, 2005
    Just about all Macs tend to have great resale value on ebay. So I wouldn't worry much about that...but as suggested, get Applecare. People tend to pay a significant premium on ebay if the machine is older than a year and has Applecare.

    If you want a 12" laptop, the iBook is your best bet. There's just not a whole lot of difference between the two, unless you need a Superdrive. Otherwise, save a few bucks and get the 12" iBook, maybe upgrade to a bigger drive.
  5. motherduce thread starter macrumors 6502

    Oct 3, 2005
    Houston, TX
    They all come with a year of applecare, right? So I can wait until my year is almost up to buy the extension?
  6. motherduce thread starter macrumors 6502

    Oct 3, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Money isn't a huge issue, I'd prefer to get the brand new 15.2", but I worry about the screen issues and being able to return a BTO model for full refund.
  7. SteveMcQ macrumors member

    Sep 5, 2005
    When you order AppleCare with a computer, does it contain documentation to show that you bought it, like some sort of warranty card you have to send in? Or is there a sign in screen when you first boot to register the machine and AppleCare?
  8. OutThere macrumors 603


    Dec 19, 2002
    You can wait, but you can also buy it with the computer and it will simply extend the basic service. :)
  9. iEdd macrumors 68000


    Aug 8, 2005
    When you buy a computer, you get a year of warranty from the date of purchase. The first 90 days are 24 hour tech support (I think).
    I believe when you get applecare you get 3 years of tech support+warranty.
  10. MRU Suspended


    Aug 23, 2005
    Yep thats what I always do. After all whst happens in 8 - 10 months time if the new intel powerbooks come out and you want to upgrade. You can still get great money for your powerbook on ebay, and you wont have had to shell out 300-400 bucks for the applecare that your not using :)
  11. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a


    Nov 19, 2003
    Ahhh, but the Applecare is a great selling point on eBay as well. Don't forget the warranty is transferrable to others.
  12. aquajet macrumors 68020

    Feb 12, 2005
    Yes. I bought my PowerBook Nov. 2004, and I just bought Applecare last week, the day before my warranty expired.
  13. motherduce thread starter macrumors 6502

    Oct 3, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Nov 7, 2005 at 09:12 PM PST

    (Not yet shipped)

    iKlear - iPod, iBook & PowerBook Cleaning Kit
    Within 24 hours

    PowerMate USB Volume Control
    Within 24 hours

    Office 2004 for Mac - Student and Teacher Edition
    Within 24 hours

    Griffin iCurve PowerBook/iBook Stand
    Within 24 hours

    PowerBook G4 - 15.2"
    Within 24 hours

    HP DeskJet 6540 InkJet Printer
    Within 24 hours

    I did the deed! Hope I don't regret it! From reading here, I doubt I will, even if I have some issues with screen. Thanks for all the help everyone!
  14. slooksterPSV macrumors 68040


    Apr 17, 2004
    CONGRATS! Be sure to take in the smell of a new Apple computer when you get it. You'll be happy you made the purchase.
  15. tjwett macrumors 68000


    May 6, 2002
    Brooklyn, NYC
    i was just in a similar situation, you can see the thread here:

    in the end i went with the 12" PowerBook. as i mention in the other thread, my main desire was portability and the few small things the 12" PB has over the 12" iBook. i have a dual G5 and Cinema Display for a workstation and home base and just needed something tiny with enough muscle to do some specific things that the iBook couldn't really handle and the 15" would have been overkill for. having said that, if this were my only machine i'd definitely go with the 15" PowerBook. not only is the new screen downright beautiful but i consider much more of a suitable desktop replacement. i'm loving the 12" for what i'm doing and based on how much i find myself using it combined with what comes out next year i may switch to a 100% portable setup with whatever the latest and greatest 15" Intel is down the road. i see you are a designer. doing a fair amount of web design/photoshopping myself, i don't think i'd be too happy on the 12" for that stuff. the new screen on the 15" is just stunning.
  16. motherduce thread starter macrumors 6502

    Oct 3, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Thanks for the insight. I originally wanted the 12", even though it would have been my only system. I figured I could just hook it up to an external display and get to work. However, when Apple failed to update these with the latest revisions, I felt the 12" was quite a bit overpriced, plus I decided that for those times I wanted to work on my deck, in bed, couch, plane, car, bus, boat, whatever, I would need more real estate or I wouldn't be very productive. In the end, I think this will have decent resale, and I'll get good use out of it for 2-4 years before having to upgrade.

    I appreciate everyone's help. Keep an eye out for my "discovery" thread for my new mac (first one since 1990 or so)

Share This Page