The big Switch to Apple

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mrm988, Feb 9, 2010.

1. mrm988 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I'm a Diehard Windows user but because of recent lack of good Hardware for Windows I'm starting to think about the big switch from PC to Mac when the New MacBook Pro with i7 is out. Mean while I'm doing some research about running my Windows 7 in Boot Camp. Now the confusing bit is that Will I be able to also use the Same Boot Camp partition for my Parallels 5 Desktop When I'm in Mac os so I can Have access to all my softwares that I have installed under BootCamp? This is the make or break question for me to switch from PC to Mac!

Thanks in advance :)
    Reza

2. archipellago macrumors 65816

..but because of recent lack of good Hardware...

you have got to be kidding....!! :eek:

proper i7's have been out in the PC wild for ages.

3. mrm988 thread starter macrumors newbie

What I meant was being applied to laptops(P.S I know there are some good PC Laptops out there but they cost a fortune, at least in UK anyway!!!). For desktop I would never replace my PC with a Mac.

4. SamTheeGeek macrumors 6502

SamTheeGeek

hiya ,

I kinda went through the same thing , thinkin what should i get , im planning to switch to mac soon, i really love the OS. I did some reaserch on i7 laptops if you want windows on em

http://www.intel.com/consumer/shop/notebook/core_i7.htm

Alienware is great but really expensive, i myself always went for sony for my portable computer needs, they are pretty good , but they only got i5 right now if im not mistake . check it out http://www.sonystyle.com

So ya im plannin to wait till march for the macbook pro refresh, hopefuly it comes out by then :)

5. iMacThere4Iam macrumors regular

Yes, You Can

The answer to your question is yes, and you will change your mind about your PC desktop after you've gotten used to OSX.

6. mrm988 thread starter macrumors newbie

Not so sure about that, I've used OSX at uni a lot but still does not reach the standards of windows from my experience, but we'll have to wait and see... Altough I have to say the portable hardwares(eg Macbook Pro) that Apple make are absolutely amazing. :apple:

7. mattyb240 macrumors 6502a

Standard of windows? What a vague, and odd statement to make? I'm not going to flame you for it, but I am sure that others will. All I will say is, your standard is just your preference not others. "Standard" sounds a bit official, where as in my eyes Windows isn't the "standard" that OSX is. Two different operating systems, two different purpose. I do like Windows 7 but not enough to make me switch back.:)

Hope you get whats best for you!

8. ChrisA macrumors G4

I would not call it a "Big Switch". Buying a Mac is not a big deal.

I don't know about Parallels but VMware Fusion does allow for physical partitions and disk drives to be used.

But I think you will find that unless you have some very special requirements you will have little need to run Windows under either boot camp or VMware. Maybe you have some Windows-only software that you use for business?

9. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

Here's my question: what will the i7 provide that makes it worth waiting for?

Habitus :apple:

10. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Wow this is a first.... someone switching mainly because of the hardware and not the OS... I feel like i'm in the twilight zone :D

Are you sure you're not being blinded by the pretty silver sleek design? Because apple internal hardware is extremely dated and overpriced compared to what is out there in PC world right now.

Where apple shines though is making that outdated hardware work perfectly with the OS.

11. mrm988 thread starter macrumors newbie

In reply to your answer it's because I'm expecting a lot of changes in the new Macbook pros such as Nvidia Optimus Graphics and new Chipset (Possibly nvidia 330m ??!?) , i7 (better processor) and possible 4GB of ram for the price of the current 2GB Macbook Pro and possible some minor changes.

Well, I wouldn't say apples internal hardware is extremely dated but I do agree there are a lot more better options and that's exactly why I'm waiting for the new version as I answered Habitus above.

As for the OS I don't say it's bad and I'm sure I will be using it for my daily internet browsing and possibly photoshop work but It will not be able to offer me what Windows offers, lots of software that I use for business and my gaming life(Yes I play games, not hardcore but the graphics Chipset of mac is good enough for it)!

Expensive!!!?! Not so sure. I'm a student I get 17% off :))