The Big Thread of iTunes X (10)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Yixian, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Yixian macrumors 65816

Regarding the iPad, whilst analysts all predict good things and the mainstream media have been mostly singing Apple's praises, when it comes to some of us long time Apple fans there is a large faction of people who feel that the iPad event was disappointing.

Personally I feel pretty neutral about the whole thing, I think the iPad will be a success but probably in a longer term than we were expecting.

The reason I think so many people are left a bit despondent is because it was always going to be apps that sold this thing, and not just apps but content of other kinds like books, newspapers, movies etc.

Apple knew that, we knew that, the media knows that, so when you think about it the most surprising omission from the event was actually, iTunes was barely touched upon.

The iBook Store is going to be a major addition to the iTunes Store. We don't really know how regular newspapers/magazines are going to be delivered but if there isn't some kind of standard iTunes service to help regulate it all then it's going to be a bit of a mess, so I think it's safe to assume there'll be something to deal with that. Then you have the general reshuffle that will have to be done of the App Store to take into account iPads.

That's all a given, and yet we are also supposed to be expecting a cloud based service in the near future, as well as there being rumours of new deals for TV content, ie. "Best of TV".

Mostly none of this was even mentioned, let alone fleshed out at the event, and it's these things that would really make the iPad shine. If Steve had shown us how we can regularly keep up to date with our magazine subscriptions, how we can access our music via. the cloud on the iPad and announced a new Best of TV service that would obviously work on the iPad too - I think the reaction would be unanimously positive.

So that begs the question..

Where is iTunes X?

We do know Apple has been working on it for a while, iTunes 10 is internally known as iTunes X and we know this because of mentions to it's 64bit architecture in iTunes .pkg files. iTunes 9 is currently only 32 bit.

The iBook Store, iPad management, probably magazine subscriptions, the new iPad aspects of the App Store etc. all, I think, call for a full numbered release of iTunes rather than a v.1 step up - and we know these things are all going to have to come by March.

On top of that your have the cloud and possibly TV features, both of which would definitely require a full numbered release and so we could probably expect them to hit with iTunes X.

There's also the possibility that Apple are still readying an iLife for iPad, probably coinciding with an iLife 2010 for OS X, both of which iTunes X could sensibly be included in.

So... is iTunes X coming soon? Would Apple require an event for it? Will we have to wait all the way until WWDC?

It seems iTunes X is going to be the missing piece of the iPad puzzle and another big bump for AAPL stock so the sooner it arrives the better and I am very surprised, looking back, that we saw no mention on the 27th.

Here's hoping..

While on the topic, what do you guys want to see in v10? Here's an article on the subject with some ideas..

iTunes X Wish List: 10 Things We Want in the Next Upgrade

2. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I would like to add an 11th to the list. Smart folder scanning. Give me a setting in iTunes that tells it to scan a folder every hour/day/week etc for new music. When it finds the new music it adds it to the iTunes library and all the clients that are connected to that iTunes library will be updated or updated when it is turned on. Pain in the butt to add new songs or albums.

3. NightStorm macrumors 68000

The only thing I really want from iTunes X is better support for large libraries stored externally (NAS, USB, etc) that can be accessed and modified by multiple users concurrently. As it stands, to properly allow both my fiancee and myself (using separate accounts on the same iMac) full access to our media without a lot of unnecessary duplication, I had to create a generic itunes user that we can both login to (via fast switching mode) to sync our iPhones.

I'd also like for iTunes X to become a native Cocoa app on the Mac.

4. enberg macrumors regular

No. 1 wish: Ability to add tunes to my iPhone without importing them into the iTunes library first. Probably never gonna happen though.

5. Yixian thread starter macrumors 65816

Is it outside the realm of possibility that Apple might release iTunes X in time for the iPad? With or without an event?

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I don't know but it better have flash support, multitasking and a camera. Wait, what?

7. grubworth macrumors member

A fix for people with iPod Classics would be nice, since iTunes 9 is pretty much incompatible with iPod classics.

8. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Photo management within iTunes. I would love to be able to add photos to iTunes instead of just specifying a folder to sync. To be able to tag photos just like music or videos... to organize into albums and add descriptions all within iTunes... is a no-brainer to me. With devices like the iPhone, the Nano, iPod Touch and now the iPad all being great for taking and/or viewing photos, I don't see why this is too much to ask for.

9. Yixian thread starter macrumors 65816

In fact I wouldn't be surprised if we saw an Apple TV v2 (read: v1) around about the same time as iTunes X, if it arrives with new TV deals etc.

10. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I hope they don't do this. I am hoping they actually start fragmenting it out. I think it does to much and if you have a large library it really starts to show with it slowing down. I hope they don't do this. It is fine to have iPhoto startup as soon as you connect your iPhone, but I don't want my photo's in iTunes. Just my .02.

11. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

Can you elaborate on this? I have a Classic but haven't had any issues using it with iTunes 9? Granted, I use it as a backup device and sync everything to it. What is making it incompatible?

12. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

I don't have iPhoto. I'm on Windows 7 and see no reason why photo integration should be any kind of an issue. If you don't want photos in iTunes, just don't put them in there. I don't see why it shouldn't be an option though.

13. grubworth macrumors member

14. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

This is what iPhoto is for :confused:

edit: saw you are on W7. I'd like iPhone to show faces/events like the iPad. I don't think Apple should waste resources catering to non-Mac users specifically.

15. hollerz macrumors 6502a

hollerz

Definitely agree here, they need a separate app for movies/TV shows. And a separate store for each app.

Maybe even take the iPod/iPhone syncing out of it, and update and make iSync a big part of iLife. Have it handle all the syncing, in the same way iTunes does now where it displays all your movies, photo's, music etc.

In fact, only reason I can see for them not doing this is because of Windows. Windows users are unlikely to buy basically the full iLife suite if it was available, whereas it comes with a Mac. And they'd miss out on movie sales etc. if there was separate apps/stores.

16. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

I highly doubt it would take much work to allow Windows 7 users to import photos to iTunes.

I'm really surprised people are against this. But I see that most of you are Mac users with iPhoto, so I guess you have what you need. Incentive to buy a Mac, I guess, though it seems like a no-brainer to allow the simple importing of photo.

17. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

The current version of iTunes already has a "watched folder" feature.

18. poena macrumors newbie

I wish iTunes would go the same way as QuickTime Player X did. Get rid off all the bloat and just have a solid music player.

19. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

So you base your expectation on unsubstantiated rumors rather than facts?

The iPhone / iPod touch system works great. You can buy / download music or apps either on your computer or on your device. Then sync.

iTunes auto watch:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3832

It's called iPhoto.

20. pooryou macrumors 65816

Need a better way to manage which files get synced to an iPod/iPhone especially when using Smart Playlists.

21. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Ha...this is good to know. Have to try it out. I know they were doing the add automatically for purchased but this is a nice feature. Not totally what I was expecting but this might do the trick! Thank you.

22. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Yeah, we've been over this already... I'm not on a Mac and I want to be able to add my photos directly to iTunes.

23. iDisk macrumors 6502a

iDisk

Just use the iLife suite. Upload using iPhoto. Life's never been easier

24. svNautilus301 macrumors newbie

Per the text you quoted, he's not on a mac, and therefore cannot use iPhoto or iLife. It is not available outside OSX.