The bigger screen placebo effect.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Serelus, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Serelus macrumors 6502a

Serelus

So iPhone 4S has been out for a while now, and I personally still own an iPhone 4.
    I am considering upgrading to 4S but there's this tiny little thing that kept me from doing so.
    It's that people keep hammering the fact, that the screen of the iPhone is so small.

At first I could very well understand this logic, why not have a bigger screen if I can?

But since I am a geek, I question that very same logic with screen resolutions.
    The iPhone 4S is probably going to give me a better screen experience solely based on resolution, I am quite sure the the screen quality is better too, in comparison to other smartphones. Infact, why would I want a bigger screen with a lower resolution?

It just doesn't make any sense to me... I hear everyone talking about it.. are they nitpicking? Cause nobody has been able to tell me why bigger is better in this case. Any idea's?

2. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Using the same logic, why not make the screen smaller and denser.

The simple truth is, some people defend only what is currently available.

Fortunately, Apple ignored those who said the original iPhone screen was just fine.

3. sbddude macrumors 6502a

The bigger screen is the only thing keeping me from getting a 4s.

In the meantime I love the 4.3" on my HTC Inspire.

4. lilo777 macrumors 603

Bigger screen is better in some regards. Some may argue that iPhone's resolution is excessive. Imagine if the phone's screen had size 1" and had the same resolution. Th screen would technically show everything just fine but we would not be able to see it. iPhone's pixel density may be to much for some.

Also, things like video are much easier to watch on a bigger display.

Also, as far as input is concerned - bigger screen helps. Web links and buttons are bigger on larger screens and thus are easier to deal with.

5. hexspeed macrumors newbie

I just switched from the HTC EVO 4G. I like a lot of things about the iPhone -- screen size isn't one of them. Resolution is great, font size, however, is killing my eyes. In addition, the keyboard is smaller so typing is slower. I'm going to give it another couple of weeks, but my spouse may get an early Christmas present (younger eyes, smaller hands).

6. Serelus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Serelus

Ah yes, this makes alot of sense. I don't seem to be having issues in regard to the things stated above with my current iPhone 4, so this makes my decision alot easier.

7. bobTX10 macrumors member

You will never understand unless you have a phone with a bigger screen than the iPhone.

8. Serelus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Serelus

I guess these are valid reasons too, I am only 20 years old so my eyesight is pretty much fine, I also think the keyboard on iPhone is better than on any android phone out there. I guess the need for certain aesthetics is alot more circumstantial than I thought.

9. saaketham macrumors member

Some people like larger screens. Personally, I think 4" screen is ideal for me. iPhone screens are a tad too small, but many of the flagship Android handsets have 4.3" and 4.5" screens, which I don't need at all. If I want to do a lot of browsing, games, etc, I'll use my iPad 2. Many of my colleagues have Android handsets and they love their handsets - good for them. But, my boss's Droid X is way too big for a cell phone for my liking. Again, this is merely a personal preference. For me, once I add a thick case to the iPhone (I currently have an Otterbox one), the size is perfect - goes into the pocket without making me look too excited all the time.

10. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

After holding and using several other devices, I don't like a larger form factor. I have small hands, and my iPhone fits pretty well.

I don't care what they do to screen size as long as the physical size remains the same.

11. ibuyufo macrumors 6502

I've played with the Samsung Galaxy S2 and my thumb can easily reach to the other end of the screen. Who ever postulated that apple kept the screen at 3.5" must really have under-developed hands. :D I am still waiting for a bigger screen and hopefully the iphone 5 will have it!

12. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I'm sorry guys, but as a Thunderbolt user for the past year I can tell you the one thing I really miss is the bigger screen. The iPhone screen is sharper, no doubt, but the bigger screen is, well, bigger. The difference in resolution notwithstanding, I can't really do much surfing on the iPhone and those icon labels are very, very tiny.

But, on the bright side, my battery lasted me all day and I was able to tether without dropping the signal, so I'll take AT&T 4G over Verizon LTE any day of the week. And weekends too.

13. cababah macrumors 68000

just don't watch any side-by-side comparison videos or look at any of the other phones out there and it won't feel small. carry around an ipod shuffle with you for reference and it will feel like a movie theater ;)

14. munch2112 macrumors member

Personally.... I think the iPhone screen is perfect. It's perfect for doing what it needs to do.

At the end of the day, the iPhone is, well, a phone! It's perfect for doing things that phones are supposed to do! Like texting and phoning.

Yes it's a "smartphone", so things like email and browsing can be done. For me, it's also fine for that.... But that's me and my eyes!

Sometimes I do struggle with certain web pages, or long work emails are a pain to read and reply to cos in typing lots, but then I just crack out my mac, and use that! As after all, that is what my mac is designed for!!!

15. TallGuy1970 macrumors 6502

It all depends...

I have huge hands (been palming a basketball since 8th grade), and I would love a bit larger screen, mostly for a larger on-screen keyboard. However, I think 4" might be my limit. The 4.3 and 4.5 screens seem too big and too awkward to carry in my pocket. It is just a phone anyway, not a tablet.

16. FrankySavvy macrumors 65816

To be honest, the difference between a 4 inch screen and 3.5 is minimal.....Obviously everyone wanted a bigger screen on the new iPhone, so did I. To be honest the smaller screen, the better the battery life, easier to use with one hand and obviously it will be lighter.

17. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Ummm, no. If you put them side by side, that .5 inch is a lot bigger than the number suggests.

But battery life what it is, I'd rather have the smaller screen and longer life. If I want to go big, I'll reach for my iPad... :apple:

18. fjrabon macrumors regular

In my opinion, the compromises you have to make with batter life on a 4.5 inch phone are just too great. Also, the iPhone as about as big of a phone as I'd want to put in my jeans pocket, and I wil never own a phone that I don't feel comfortable just slipping in my pocket.

19. PhoneI macrumors 65816

Yuck. The screen in all HTC's are awful

20. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

That's quite a sweeping generalisation.

To the OP, there is no "better" display. Not everyone is the same. For you, the 3.5" display with super high pixel density might be perfect but for others it isn't. I don't care how dense my pixels are, 200 PPI would be fine for me, but I want a bigger display to fit my big hand.

Anyone who says there is one perfect display size to fit everyone is an idiot.

21. aluren macrumors 65816

I also agree and think that the battery performance is a key point for Apple not to include it. I'm sure poor battery life = poor design and Apple will absolutely not have it. So if I had to choose between bigger screen or retina display, I would go retina everytime.

22. ryanmcv macrumors 6502a

ryanmcv

Are you serious? Stopped reading there.