The biggest 4.2 feature

Discussion in 'iPad' started by roland.g, Nov 2, 2010.

1. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Sure, things like AirPrint are going to be great. But I just don't deal with so much stuff I need to print anyway.

And AirPlay, but I have been using the AirTunes feature and the remote app for a long time, and as an original Apple TV owner yet to upgrade, AirPlay won't allow me to push video or images directly from an iPad or iPhone to my Apple TV.

Multitasking is great. But really. Home & Launch isn't that hard, and sorry to say most developers haven't gotten on board with supporting multitasking in their iPhone apps.

GameCenter looked like it would be so cool, but I really don't know too many games that use it, and while I really haven't looked hard, it just doesn't seem like GameCenter has really taken off.

So for me, the most anticipated feature of the iPad getting 4.2 is Folders. Going from my iPhone to my iPad is disastrous. Trying to find apps, swiping across screen after screen. I can't wait to get some organization like my iPhone has and pare it all down to a couple home screens with some folder management.

It's really a feature that should have been there in 3.2 for iPad. And it would be really nice to see more developers update their apps to universal. I'm tired or running iPhone apps that I really use on my iPad in 1x/2x pixelation. Fandango, Apple Store, Skype, and all the others, come on, get your act together.

2. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

3. Baschdi616 macrumors newbie

4. mamema macrumors regular

so lets see, i'm on jailbreak wit FW 3.2

Airpint - there is an app for that......
    Airplay - very satisfied Airvideo user
    Multitasking - Backgrounder works fine
    GameCenter - Huhu don't need it.....
    Folders - SBCategories works fine

So the upgrade has nothing for me?
    Oh wait the lock switch which is then a mute switch i didn't need...so great....

Where IS the biggest 4.2 feature again?

5. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Airplay is actually AirVideo in reverse.

6. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Definitely looking forward to the folders. It's really going to be so much easier to find things.

Also, multitasking. I use it so much on my phone, so I have no doubt it will make life easier on my iPad.

7. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

It is much better if printing is integrated in the OS.
    Airplay is nothing like Airvideo. Airplay allows you to stream your content from your iPad to a Mac/AppleTV.

If you still want to have a jailbroken device, then of course the benefits aren't that many, but still I would upgrade.

8. yodaxl7 macrumors 6502a

Airplay!!! If it only allows audio and video, then it is ok. If allows to push apps like games, then amazing!! Airprint will be awesome! folders sound nice. Multi-tasking is great.

Airplay would be great with my new apple tv. I am hoping to push games onto the big screen.

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Folders in iOS4 is easier to make and organize than Categories, and once you add FolderEnhancer, it's the best of both worlds.

The leap from jailbroken 3.2 to a jailbroken 4.2 isn't the major feature enhancement it is for people coming from stock 3.2, but overall, it will be a nice incremental upgrade. Jailbroken 3.2 to stock 4.2, however, would be a mishmash of gained one feature to lose another, and wouldn't be a very pleasant experience.

As for that "mute" switch -- it isn't really a mute switch, it just shuts off notifications and system sounds. So say you are playing music or video on your iPad, and someone walks in and wants to talk to you -- guess what? You still have to hold down the volume down switch to mute your iPad! Very useless, I tell you! I'm totally counting on the JB developers to come up quickly with a mod that changes it back to rotation lock, or something else more useful!

10. kevingaffney macrumors 6502a

Personally i prefer to use products, tried and tested by apple that i know for the most part will not cause me any problems rather than a combination of hacks cobbled together by god knows who or where. I used enough stuff like that for years when I was avwindows user

11. Touchstone64 macrumors regular

+1.

12. imacken macrumors 65816

Unified Inbox for me, followed closely by folders.

13. lozpop macrumors 6502

14. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

15. BobHail macrumors 6502a

16. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

Multitasking is my number one. I could care less about Folders. I don't use it now on my iPhone.

17. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Folders.

Is the universal inbox thingy OPTIONAL? Because i dont want my gmail mixed with my me.com in any way shape or form.

I want my switch to stay as is - and if the JB community fixes this, I will JB for the first time EVER to retain it.

18. iSingandiDance macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

I truly believe once Skyfire and iOS4.2 release, the iPad will be the consummate media consumption device. :)

19. Night Spring, Nov 3, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2010

Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

You get an "ALL" inbox and an inbox for each account. If you don't want an universal inbox, just don't open the ALL inbox.

Oh, and once you jailbreak, you'll find some useful enhancements other than keeping the rotation switch. I'm really enjoying FolderEnhancer and SwitcherMod on my touch, and intend to get them for my iPad as soon as they become available for 4.2. It's how folders and task switcher should have been!

EDIT: And another mod was just posted to cydia called DirectControl. This is going to be so useful on the iPad! When you double tap the home button, it shows the iPod, brightness, volume and orientation controls FIRST, and you swipe to get to the running&recent apps list. Brilliant!

20. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Thanks!

I figure there is more I'd find, really, I don't want to have to JB. It's the whole mental effort thing... Lol!

21. steezy1337 macrumors 6502

just out of interest what source is DirectControl on? i tried searching cydia but got nothing with just the default sources

22. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Jailbreaking itself is usually quite simple, programs like limera1n and greenpois0n just requires you to click a button and then follow on-screen instructions to get the iPad into DFU mode. But trying to figure out which method works with which device on which firmware has become quite a nightmare, as the possible permutations keep increasing with each new release! And figuring out which mods are stable and which ones might crash your device and force you to restore is tricky at first. After a while, you develop a feel for which ones can be trusted, but it CAN be overwhelming at first. But since you have a very definite idea of what you want from jb, just stick to that at first and take things slow, and dealing with the jb world would become just part of your overall idevice experience. I hardly remember anymore what it was like to live with just stock firmware, lol.

23. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Weird. It's from bigboss, which I believe is one of the default sources.

24. steezy1337 macrumors 6502

i've just had a check looking at only the big boss repo and all i could find was Direct Closer and Direct Closer Pro, i don't suppose it's one of those is it?

25. Night Spring, Nov 3, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2010

Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

No. It's Direct Control, and for me, it shows up directly after the two apps you mentioned. Totally not sure why it isn't showing up for you! :(

EDIT: It also shows up in the tweaks section.