The Biggest leap

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ChrisGonzales90, Jun 10, 2010.

1. ChrisGonzales90 macrumors 6502a

ChrisGonzales90

Steve said the iPhone 4 is the biggest leap since the orgnail iPhone. I sort of disagree. If he really wanted it to be the "biggest leap" hen would have

• Allowed it on the "big 4"
    • Have a possible larger screen model, while keeping the 3.5" model. The larger model could be named "iPhone 4HD or simply iPhone HD
    • a true new design. The front still has the same old look. Dress it up. homew button smaller, perhaps right on the edge. LED indictor. with the option of turning it off.
    • plus a few others
    anyone else agree

2. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

I believe that Apple is more of a repetitive and uniform company. The design differed slightly, but like you said the front looks the same. I do not see a really big change here since that is what makes the iPhone, the iPhone. When you see that screen, you know what it is.

3. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

Ugh, no, please, no.

4. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Some of your changes seem just for changes' sake. If something isn't broken, don't try to fix it. It just works.

Personal opinion: screens larger than 4" aren't as comfy or pocket friendly for a cellphone. For a cellphone, I think anything between 3" and 4" is key. And I have faith in Apple that they selected the optiminal screen size for their device (considering battery, the processor usage to power the display).

5. iJammer9 macrumors newbie

iJammer9

I would agree about being on the "big 4". I do agree a larger screen would be good, but I don't think it's needed for such a leap. I like the classic design of the iPhone personally, but I could see how you would want that.

6. amann76 macrumors 6502

amann76

if you want a knock off iphone there are plenty of companies making them mostly on the android based platform.

7. Mercaptan macrumors regular

Bigger screen means a bigger phone. People would complain about it not fitting well in their pockets. I think higher density was the best way to go, although it might kill my eyes with tiny text...

8. Pattycerts macrumors 6502

I agree with the premise that this is NOT their biggest leap in a phone. The 3G was, but I guess that can be debated.

Don't get me wrong: new higher res screen, new faster CPU, new design, gyroscope, front camera, more RAM, bigger battery- that's a lot of change, so its very close to the 3G as far as the number of advancements. 3G added 3G radio, GPS, more memory, and a new design as well.

9. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Absolutely. iPhone 3G added a 3G radio, different casing, and an aGPS. iPhone 3GS added better SoC, compass, better camera.

iPhone 4 adds gyroscope, radically new case design, new camera with flash, new screen, new SoC, WiFi N. Big jump.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Of course he said that, he's interested in selling more units. How many iPhones would he sell if stated that it was just a minor update.

11. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

The key is, he never said that when introducing the 3G or 3GS. He never said, those upgrades were as innovative or revolutionary as the 1st iPhone. This time he did.

The iPhone 4 is clearly the largest leap since the 1st iPhone. Whether or not the OP likes the leap is a different story, but it is by far the largest upgrade to the iPhone since its introduction.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I suppose, if you count the gyro and guitar hero, yeah. ;)

Seriously I take most of what Jobs says as marketing hype to help sell his products. Is that wrong, of course not, I just don't take his words as gospel, that's all.

13. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Thinner
    Longer Battery
    Faster
    Faster 3G
    Glass on front and back
    Better camera on back
    Front camera
    High res display (this is huge, people here are underestimating it because they haven't used a higher-res device than the iPhone for an extended period of time. This is an absolutely massive upgrade)
    OS changes: multitasking, etc

This is a big upgrade. Stop making stupid threads.

14. darngooddesign macrumors G3

and double the processor, three times the usable RAM, voice dialing, and some other stuff.

15. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Most of that is encompassed in the SoC. The voice dialing is a feature lockout on Apple's part.

16. kaputsport macrumors member

Yea, the screen upgrade, faster chip, faster online access and others make it huge...

I think the antenna design is a huge step forward. The OS is clearly a big leap forward, and there are other things that make this bigger. Just because it is not your design, doesn't make it not a huge leap.

Sure, if a few ideas I had were added, it would be very impressive...

But adding HD video, and Facetime alone are huge... Can I have some of what you are smoking?

17. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Just calling those things SoC minimizes their importance. You can easily say that both the 3G and 3GS both got a new SoC, but that doesn't tell you how significant the improvements to 3GS' SoC was.

Voice Dialing was an added feature to the 3GS, so it bears mentioning. The way it was implemented on the 3GS means there was no way it could be added to the 3G.

18. Built macrumors 68020

Who cares???

Either you want it...or you don't....

19. bmms8 macrumors 68020

to me this is by far the biggest leap since the introduction. they were touting voice control a year ago. they were talking about taking video. we now have two cameras, slimmer design and etc that everyone else has mentioned. by far the biggest leap imo.

20. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

I compare that to the old Mac Book Pro and the new Unibody MBP. Yea, they look the same to someone that doesnt know (Ive actually heard it), but totally different animal.

BTW, Does anoyone wanna buy my old MBP 15, that "LOOKS" like my new MBP Unibody?. If It gets me more $$$ ! ! !.......... :)

21. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

But I gave them equal importance both calling them both SoCs :) As for voice dialing, I never saw any confirmation that a hardware difference prevented the 3G from doing it. I only remember Steve Jobs alluding to the fact that the 3G was too slow to handle it.

22. ChrisGonzales90 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ChrisGonzales90

We knew what the G3 mac was, but the design changed. So your point is worthless.

I'm the type that moves forward. If its not broken I fix it anyway. I love life and life is filled with change. Look at the past apple designs. "if it an't broke, dont fix it" well, same thing goes there.

opinion. Seems to been drinking too much of the apple life water. (yeah I dont like kool aid)

Same. Almost every keynote and product announcement he says the same damn thing.

Well you care. Other wise you wouldn't have responded.